aluminum under body panels?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
lintlars;1428334 said:
What I did was cut a card board template that extended from the front bumper and to the back of the front suabframe it attached to the front lip same as the factory under tray it Instead of aluminium I used Puckboard (think hockey rink siding) tough enough not to make any noise at speed but light and cheap Ill post some pics tomorrow

I'd like to know how this worked out for you. Also, what did it cost you to buy and work with this "Puckboard" stuff?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I'd be interested in theory. From where to where should the undertray be to acquire theoretically best results (high/low-pressure zones etc?)? Anyone with such knowledge?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
ValgeKotkas;1428436 said:
I'd be interested in theory. From where to where should the undertray be to acquire theoretically best results (high/low-pressure zones etc?)? Anyone with such knowledge?

i was going to try and cut and piece an aluminum one together to look almost exactly like the stock shape, with the two sides bolting up near the wheel wells and all. after the pieces were cut and laid out i'd take it to a shop that could tig it for me and let them roll some beads into it so it would be a little more rigid (i was going to look for 3/32-1/8 inch aluminum to make it out of).

figured this shape would be the best for a stock cooling fan/shroud setup.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I'm interested in your setup too, lintliars!

pln;1428332 said:
here is my mod to make all air go threw the radiator. Some alu-pieces.

Now that looks functional! I'd be compelled to get an extra fresh air duct into the radiator from above the intercooler, and perhaps create a duct from the bumper to the intercooler as well, but that looks great!

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
Thanks! Its very functional. 99.% of the air my electric fans are sucking in, is going thru the intercooler. I also can recommend a tight construction around the fans so no air is sucked in from the side. Ofcourse I have no scientific proof of the efficiency here .. but you can feel the draft even when you hold your hand 10-15cm from ic.

Attachments

• DSCN0151.jpg
    DSCN0151.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
wish i had a lift. mine's completely stock and the only thing broken on the underbody panel are the three front tabs to mount to the bumper

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
Neodeuccio;1428379 said:
I'd like to know how this worked out for you. Also, what did it cost you to buy and work with this "Puckboard" stuff?

Sorry had no time to load pics today puck board costs 40$ IIRC it can be cut with a pnematic shear (thats what I used) tins snips work as well I had the factor under cover when I lost mine I noticed a night and day difference at speed I used 80% of the factory mounting points, Ive had my car over 150mph and no noise comes from my under tray

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I've been planning on making some of these for a while. I'll post pics when I do, willing to mass produce and a very reasonable cost. Should be soon as my current project is almost wrapped up and I'll need some more down force/high speed stability.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
karlmk3;1428238 said:
man i watched one of these aluminum ones fall of a 350 today holy fuck the noise and watching that thing fly down the high way hell no bro not on my car .

Exactly why mine will be made of a tough but lightweight plastic.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
noel;1428928 said:
Wats wrong with Stock? it's around $150 from dealer.....i guess it has to be shiny or something?

if my dealer here had one easily accessible, i'd pick it up. however, they were giving me hell about shipping one (some people just don't want to help). if i can get away with spending less on the aluminum, then i'll do it.

another reason - i dont want these tabs breaking off like the old one did. mine has also started to sag/warp in the middle - maybe from a massive oil leak before i had the car?

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
Clip;1429043 said:
if my dealer here had one easily accessible, i'd pick it up. however, they were giving me hell about shipping one (some people just don't want to help). if i can get away with spending less on the aluminum, then i'll do it.

another reason - i dont want these tabs breaking off like the old one did. mine has also started to sag/warp in the middle - maybe from a massive oil leak before i had the car?

i live 2 blocks away from Toyota MAybe we can work something out:biglaugh:

I would prefer a custom undertray made out of HARD PLAstic instead of some type of Metal but for now the OEM UNdertray will work :biglaugh:

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
got_boosted;1428984 said:
Exactly why mine will be made of a tough but lightweight plastic.

see some one knows man those light weight aluminum ones are a headach ill take an oem one anyday on anycar . or if someone would do a good plastic maybe but for now ill pay the extra for oem

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
Heres some pics of what I made using puck board light weight (sorta) very tough and cheap
The only thing I have to modify is the center mounting hole Im going to heat it up and depress so it does not warp the rest of the cover
p1429623_1.jpg

p1429623_2.jpg

p1429623_3.jpg