Alternator upgrade for high power stereo...

.TheJones-

Jun 24, 2010
Dayton OH
I have looked online and have checked with aftermarket parts places such as auto zone and advanced auto and even napa auto parts. I am looking to upgrade the alternator so I can prevent having to run a battery in the "trunk" area. No one had a higher amperage alt. that would fit. According to advanced auto the OEM is 70. Two of those three chains told me that I could have the alternator rebuilt to push a higher amperage. Is that really the ideal thing to do? I would think to do that would put to much strain on what appears to be a very small alternator. I'm sorry if this seems to be a noob question, I have never encountered this issue because I have always had a truck. With a large v-6 or a v-8. Again my main reason for wanting to do this is because I do not want another battery in the rear of the vehicle. I will be building an amp rack and couldnt figure out a way to neatly incorporate the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

.TheJones-

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Search is your friend. This has been discussed numerously. There are several options for you. You can use an MR2 alternator, which is 90 or 110 amps; I forget. You'll have to swap the pulleys. Driftmotion sells a larger Vipre alternator that will work. You can buy rewound factory units pushing an "advertised" 90 to 130 amps all over the net. What they actually put out is unknown. You can even source a smaller pulley so your alternator will put out more at idle. Not too small though or the thing will self destruct.

Do a little more research on this forum. The information out there is a-plenty. :)

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Ian, where can I purchase the adaptor loom to run the LandCruiser alternator?

Thank you in advance,
-Mo

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I got my 130 amp alt from ebay. I know that it is ebay and all that crap but I never had a problem with it. Fit like factory. Grant it I didn't have a huge stereo but when my car shop on the base tested it under a heavy load it was perfect.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I visited a shop that specializes in starters and alternators, told them what I wanted, and they put it together for me on the spot. The thing is so far above what you can usually buy it's almost funny looking at the other upgrades - I don't recall the specific, but it's well in excess of 200a. I could probably find the bill and look it up if I really had to, but I'm fine with the idea that it's simply kick ass.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mo87NA;1603477 said:
Ian, where can I purchase the adaptor loom to run the LandCruiser alternator?

Thank you in advance,
-Mo

Mine was an over the counter part from the place I bought the alt Mo, guessing maybe Napa or one of the big chains there would have it.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
they mak 80 and 140 ampers for the 7m over any parts shelf

if you want more then the body will have to be leathed out to fit the biggger coil ring thingy for get the real name right now

then there contnuies and peek for alts as well

my last one was borrwed out body did 170 amp

but heated up faster cause of lack of heat sink cause bored

best big if you wan some thgin big is go to gm extral fan type one

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Aside from a window rattling sound system, the majority of people don't need a 130 amp alternator. Add up the loads in the EWD.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
with all my accesories, head lights on, window rear defrostter, wipers , and 55w fog lights and electic fan I need something for sure. When my fans turn on they caues a huge drop in power even with 2 60 amp relays attached.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
QWIKSTRIKE;1604597 said:
with all my accesories, head lights on, window rear defrostter, wipers , and 55w fog lights and electic fan I need something for sure. When my fans turn on they caues a huge drop in power even with 2 60 amp relays attached.

Larger power and ground wires do wonders. Not to mention cleaning and wirebrushing all the factory grounding points which have no doubt corroded/rusted over the past ~20 years! :)

When buying an alternator for stereo purposes, don't go for the highest advertised amperage rating. These are usually taken at the alternator's peak output usually ~2000RPM (engine). Try to find an alternator with the highest output at idle RPM. Large stereos will benefit from this greatly.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
55 watt fog lights? LOL! Are you landing aircraft?

ROFL Nick......good to hear from you man....it's been a while for sure......I gotta see when I go out into the county. lol

Larger power and ground wires do wonders. Not to mention cleaning and wirebrushing all the factory grounding points which have no doubt corroded/rusted over the past ~20 years!

All this is done, new positive and negative wires installed with battery relocated to trunk, and dobule grounds run one to the block one to the chasis from the block and one from battery to chasis in the trunk as well. all wire brushed before installing.

When buying an alternator for stereo purposes, don't go for the highest advertised amperage rating. These are usually taken at the alternator's peak output usually ~2000RPM (engine). Try to find an alternator with the highest output at idle RPM. Large stereos will benefit from this greatly.

Agreed, and I belive this was 100 at idle, and no matter what the stock just doesn't cut it period!

Thanks so very much for your replies.

Last edited: