alternator plug wire issue

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
what are the 3 wires on the alternator plug used for on a 1jz engine harness...2 of the three wires broke of..the yellow and black wire and the yellow and blue wire. what do those wires do? my car was acting weird these past couple of days, idling with 11.0 voltage then all of a sudden it shut up and wouldnt start back, it would crank and crank but would not turn over..before this happened i realized my battery light wouldnt come on when i turned the ignition on, so i check the alternator plug and notice that the yellow and black wire, and yellow and blue wire had broke off :/ would that keep my car from not turning on? what are the functions of those 2 wires?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The alternator supplies electricity to the entire car when the engine is running. So you need to hook up all 3 wires.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Have you checked your battery? Typically the rule of thumb is that the battery supplies the initial power to get the car started and the alternator maintains the voltage. If the plug is not hooked up correctly on the alternator your charging system is not working correctly and probably running solely off the battery... Therefore draining the battery to the point where it doesn't have enough juice to start the car. I believe operating voltage should be somewhere around 13-14 in a healthy system... At least 12V.

Sorry if I misunderstood your issue but that is what it sounds like to me.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
cramerizking;1609088 said:
Have you checked your battery? Typically the rule of thumb is that the battery supplies the initial power to get the car started and the alternator maintains the voltage. If the plug is not hooked up correctly on the alternator your charging system is not working correctly and probably running solely off the battery... Therefore draining the battery to the point where it doesn't have enough juice to start the car. I believe operating voltage should be somewhere around 13-14 in a healthy system... At least 12V.

Sorry if I misunderstood your issue but that is what it sounds like to me.

tried a different battery and it held charge to about 11.2 volts when im on the throttle..its def the alternator because i found that 2 out of the three wires on the alternator plug broke off

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

jmcboost;1609131 said:

thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for!

JZA70 Limited

Jul 19, 2008
Townsville
of the three wires, one should be the warning light for the dash, another tells the alternator to energise the rotor (when the car is turned on) and the third is the voltage input which is used to regulate the power to the rotor. I cant remember which colour each is but you need to connect them all back up and try again.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
wired up the alternator plugs and problem fixed .alternator charges and car finally started back up..turns out the car wasnt starting because one of the neo wires were loose on connection..thanks guys