Alternator not charging!

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys,

my cars a 1989 toyota supra (89+)
7mgte standard alternator + alternator loom

its not running the factory engine loom or ECU, it has a standalone aftermarket ecu and new loom

the battery goes flat over time (datalogging says 0.5V in 10 mins)

when you turn to ign, the battery light is present, when car is cranked/started light goes away as per normal, i've consulted the tsrm with no luck

My car is on a base tune @ 8psi, the car misses off boost but on boost is fine and makes good power (284rwhp)... my tuner has pointed at the charging system for these issues. When the battery is fully charged it does not miss lots, but when near flat the miss is bad.

from what i can tell in the TSRM if there was a issue charging the batt light should be on in the dash?

I've tried a new second hand alternator and it does the same thing!

any idea's of what i can check /try? I've got 2 weeks to sort this issue before it goes back to the tuners.

EDIT: just realised I've probably posted this in the wrong section. I'm sorry, please move if you see fit.

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
UPDATE: silly me, rechecked fuses, found the 100A fuse for alternator blown, didn't look burnt either more broken., i remember dropping a spanner on the alternator to battery terminala few weeks ago... explains a bit but why did the engine still run with no battery connected?