Alternative wire loom routing

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
A few threads back EvilEmpire 1.3GTE described how to route the 1jz wire loom if you don't want to extend it. I thought it was a nice idea to clean up the engine bay and the added benefit will be that the loom doesn't have to go past the hot turbo side.
As I was in the process of putting my 1.5jz back in after a rebuild and also busy doing a fuel upgrade, my intake manifold was still off so it was the perfect time to re-route the wire loom.

Well, here's some pics, I think it cleans up the engine bay nicely. BTW, there's many hoses and stuff still hanging loose, don't pay attention to that, I didn't get to that yet.

p693020_1.jpg

p693020_2.jpg

p693020_3.jpg

p693020_4.jpg

p693020_5.jpg

p693020_6.jpg

Last edited:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
how hard is it to get the wiring over to the glove box,so the ecu can go where it belong's?must be hard getting it under the dash.i was also thinking of doing the same

Turbosidosis

PVC FTW
Mar 31, 2005
Houston (Sugar Land), TX
For me, even with the dash out, I couldn't make the routing acceptable going over the AC flapper door box. I had to go in front of it, which is behind the radio, and my ecu does not reach the stock mounting area.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
This is the route i am taking, DM recommended this route as its the easiest and i do not have to redo my wiring harness. All i did was purchase a jumper harness so its PNP. I purchased a 2 +'' circle drill bit to drill my hole =P i can't wait!

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I routed my harness in a similar way. Aaron helped me out and showed me the sweet spot and it worked great. No extending the harness at all.:naughty:

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
tsuper92 said:
how hard is it to get the wiring over to the glove box,so the ecu can go where it belong's?must be hard getting it under the dash.i was also thinking of doing the same

I will be running the wiring to the passenger side today. But I have an extended loom; I have had the jz engine in for a couple of years already. I just go this route to clean up my engine bay and avoid the hot turbo side. (I've seen melted wire looms on some big singled jz swaps.)
Actually the stock spot for the ecu is taken up in my car with a gutted 7m ecu which now houses my car alarm. My ecu and EMB are sitting on the floor at the passenger side, like in a mkiv. So the wiring for me shouldn't be too hard to get to the ecu over there.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
Rich said:
I will be running the wiring to the passenger side today. But I have an extended loom; I have had the jz engine in for a couple of years already. I just go this route to clean up my engine bay and avoid the hot turbo side. (I've seen melted wire looms on some big singled jz swaps.)
Actually the stock spot for the ecu is taken up in my car with a gutted 7m ecu which now houses my car alarm. My ecu and EMB are sitting on the floor at the passenger side, like in a mkiv. So the wiring for me shouldn't be too hard to get to the ecu over there.
my jz swap has been done for a few years,all extended.i'm painting the engine bay and would like to clean up the firewall a bit too.i'm just curious about getting it over the trans tunnel.

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
This is how I've done it. I had it in this position before because the stock position is taken by a dummy which houses my car alarm. There's no problem of the ecu heating up, I've had it here for years with no problems. And also in the mkiv this is the stock position. You do need to extend the two wire plug for the heater vacuum switch on the firewall and also might need to extend one or two dashboard plugs.

The space over the tunnel is quite narrow but wide, so if you carefully put the plugs on each side it shouldn't be too hard, you can both push and pull if you lay down on the tunnel.
I must add that I had removed all unnecessary wires when fabricating my loom, like A/C and autotranny, so it can be a little thinner than other looms.

btw, when you put the carpets over it, you can't notice it, the carpets are too thick for that.

p695690_1.jpg

p695690_2.jpg

p695690_3.jpg

p695690_4.jpg