Alright, Television Q

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
Looking for brand recommendations for flat screen televisions. Aiming to spend between 500 and 750, but only need a 40 inch screen. Prefer wall mount.

Appreciate the help guys. Just want your opinions.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Stick with samsung. If possible, get into the LED line. Personally I have the UN55B7000, they're 55" LED LCD, and it's amazing. Far superior to any standard LCD's and most plasma's.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
again, way beyond the price range.

I've got a relatively old (~1 year) Sharp. 42"/60Hz and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't notice any major difference when watching sports on my TV and other's 120Hz sets. Since I don't play video games, this set works perfectly for me (even with a blu-ray player)

Since you aren't aware of the whole 120/240 Hz thing, you probably won't notice/care about the difference.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
If your price point is not within range of a 120Hz or 240Hz HDTV, Don't worry about it.
As great and revolutionary is they are, there's SO much hype behind it.
Don't get me wrong, the enhanced motion and depth perception you get from it is next to perfect,
but just because you settle with a 60Hz 1080P TV doesn't mean you're getting a bad buy.
You just won't be ready for the 3DTV era. ;)

A 40" Samsung 1080p 60Hz HDTV over a year ago was still selling for $1300-2000.

Take it coming from one with a bit of...experience in this field...
If your price range is $500-750...
Go with a Samsung 1080p 60Hz TV before you pick up a WiLangChong brand 120Hz TV.

(My car analogy is like buying a Kia with factory navigation and heated leather seats...
The thought of it is cool, but.... it's about quality, my friend. :))

And for the love of God, please don't make a big purchase like this from a department store.
They make enough money selling frozen foods, condoms and tires.

Jeff

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
There are some TV's that work awesome at 60 HZ. I have played on some 60 HZ TV's though that makes some games un-playable due to ghosting. Seriously. I'm a hardcore Tekken fan and I've traveled all around the US, and on some TV's your juggles / combos are impossible to hit on some 60 HZ TV's. It's probably more of a combination with HZ, and response time... but if you're like me and you don't want to risk ending up with a ghosting TV I'd consider 120 hz at the very least.

Why don't you want him buying this from a department store? Walmart has some pretty nice deals. Good business should be rewarded.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
SupraOfDoom;1498334 said:
Why don't you want him buying this from a department store? Walmart has some pretty nice deals. Good business should be rewarded.

I never said Walmart. :)
All the while you mentioned it, why not go to a specific electronics retailer that will offer you better prices, and services?
Yes, you heard right. Wal-mart isn't the only place on the block "selling for less" anymore. ;)

Justin727

T-virus infected
Boost Lee;1498338 said:
All the while you mentioned it, why not go to a specific electronics retailer that will offer you better prices, and services?
Yes, you heard right. Wal-mart isn't the only place on the block "selling for less" anymore. ;)

Not only that but the wal-marts in my area have nothing more then a 60hz refresh rate. Sams has more and real nice tv's. But as far as best buy right now or most of the time they cant be beat.
If I didnt just buy myself an AEM I would've bought a 50" or greater and nothing less then 120hz refresh rate. Dunno if its me but I can tell the difference everytime between a 60 and 120hz along with a 240hz as well.
I look at those along with contrast ratio and of course if its 1080

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
the only difference i can see between 60Hz and 120/240Hz is the ridiculous live/soap opera appearance it gives to tv shows and movies...

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Boost Lee;1498338 said:

Care to tell me where these are? I shop around all the time and Walmart has better prices almost all the time. As far as services go what do you consider that?

Besides, I wouldn't buy a TV from Walmart unless I already picked a TV and that was the best location / deal for it. Generally, I'm an Amazon nut.

Justin727

T-virus infected
SOD, do you ever compare contrast ratio, refresh rate, HD, or anything compared to the wal-mart tv's?
I was just at sam's for lunch and most of their TV's didnt have much info on them. Alot of the tv's sold at wal-mart are lower end hence the prices. Not that they are bad for someone just looking for a tv and thats it. But for gamers, movie watchers, and sports fans those numbers are a big difference between blotchy and lights and darks.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'll throw in another vote for Samsung. Good stuff. Sony and Sharp would be my other recommendations. I think Sony still has the most realistic colors, but they tend to be a little more expensive when comparing to a similar Samsung.

I agree with Boost Lee. The Walmart by me is helping to put my store out of business (Best buy).

If you dont want any customer service, help, or employee knowledge then by all means buy big items at Walmart or the like. If you want someone to answer a question for you, good luck.

While I don't think Walmart is evil, I do try to avoid shopping there.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Walmart products are not necessarily bad quality.
Vizio is a bang-for-the-buck HDTV on the market.
They're popular for that very reason - They offer the features for a cheap price.
(Think: Cheap/Fast/Reliable - Pick two) ;)
Best Buy has a competitive brand to Walmarts Vizio - Insignia.
-And it has proven itself time and time again to stand tall to Vizio.

As for Walmart carrying those same brands you'll find at Best Buy....
Yes, maybe - But have you ever bothered to look into those models found hanging on the walls of Walmart? We'll take a Samsung for example:
From the model number to the cheap panel design to the features, they are balls-low end straight out of the manufacture designed cheaply just for Walmart to sell.

Sorry to say, but Best Buy, who may have once been superior in over-priced electronics,
are now officially starting to live up to their name.
I'm associated with a test program called Project Haymaker for Best Buy Corp.
With this, there comes nothing more than beating anything any other company has to offer in the Home Theater industry. Period.

Matt - My reference to services earlier?
While Walmart may offer an "extended warranty" to boot...
Best Buy has certified in-home Geek Squad tech's to come to your house for service.
Not to mention, Real Calibration setups (for those techy/geeky TV guys; You should know), Wall-mounting to Consultations and everything in between.

We'll void getting too far off topic here, but rest assured;
Panel for panel, feature for feature, you aren't going to find anything better at Walmart than you would at Best Buy or... even HHG's.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Boost Lee;1498463 said:
Walmart products are not necessarily bad quality.
Vizio is a bang-for-the-buck HDTV on the market.
They're popular for that very reason - They offer the features for a cheap price.
(Think: Cheap/Fast/Reliable - Pick two) ;)
Best Buy has a competitive brand to Walmarts Vizio - Insignia.
-And it has proven itself time and time again to stand tall to Vizio.

As for Walmart carrying those same brands you'll find at Best Buy....
Yes, maybe - But have you ever bothered to look into those models found hanging on the walls of Walmart? We'll take a Samsung for example:
From the model number to the cheap panel design to the features, they are balls-low end straight out of the manufacture designed cheaply just for Walmart to sell.

Sorry to say, but Best Buy, who may have once been superior in over-priced electronics,
are now officially starting to live up to their name.
I'm associated with a test program called Project Haymaker for Best Buy Corp.
With this, there comes nothing more than beating anything any other company has to offer in the Home Theater industry. Period.

Matt - My reference to services earlier?
While Walmart may offer an "extended warranty" to boot...
Best Buy has certified in-home Geek Squad tech's to come to your house for service.
Not to mention, Real Calibration setups (for those techy/geeky TV guys; You should know), Wall-mounting to Consultations and everything in between.

We'll void getting too far off topic here, but rest assured;
Panel for panel, feature for feature, you aren't going to find anything better at Walmart than you would at Best Buy or... even HHG's.

Exactly my point!