Alluminum for exhaust pipes: bad idea?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Just wondering if alluminum is too soft to use for exhaust, like for a full exhaust, including down pipe...

Thanks,
Jake

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
but it is light weight though... :D

I was actaully looking at some stainless pipe, and they had aluminum too... The al pipe isnt really cheaper, so its not a cost thing... I was just wondering...

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
There are titanium exhaust systems out there if 5 lbs is really important. But you better have a liquid cooled check book...

mullenc525

Apr 4, 2005
There is no way an aluminum exhaust would melt outright, since post turbo temps are much lower than runner temps. Even if the exhaust was 1500f it still wouldnt melt, because of the cool air on the outside, the metal would never get to 1500f.

Anyway, the problem isnt the exhaust melting outright but it becomes progressively weaker as the temperature climbs. I would expect it to crack easily.

I am guessing if they worked they would be around.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mullen: LOL sorry I should have used more :D's!

I was joking around with Jake, but the temp is a huge issue to consider as I said the melting point of Al is around the 1200f mark, in inboard boats that use Aluminium headers they're water cooled to prevent the header failing.

No they don't melt as such but they do weaken and fail structurally.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
figgie said:
InConel for the win.

As light as aluminum and has thermal properties that are somewhere close to tungsten :) Of course the price.. that is another matter ;)

very true.. :evildeal:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Just wondering if the Cermaic Coating would negate any weight savings as you'd need to use a heavier wall tube to begin with for dent resistance...

(I can't believe we're seriously discussing this ;) )