All Seals Redone..still leakinG?!

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
alrighty fellas,

i just got my front main seal, oil pump drive seal, cam seal, rear main seal, and valve cover gasket redone. so i pick up my car and drive it home, let it sit in the garage for about an hour, come back out and check the paper towel under my car and its still leaking in a couple spots...anyone have any idea what else can be leaking even though i got all the seals DONE?! the only thing i can think of is that the last time i went to top off my oil the tech overfilled it by like 1 quart..maybe more..so could that be it? im gonna take it in tommorow and just do another fresh oil change to make sure..help please!

John

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Degrease the engine so that there's no oily areas on the bottom, sides or top, and figure out where its coming from.
Did you have the turbo flange gaskets replaced?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
CPS O-ring, turbo feed, oil filter, oil cooler lines. Are you sure it's motor oil and not P/S fluid?

Could easily be what's left on the outside of the motor from the leak - do what supraguy said. If it's an active leak, get some UV dye (made for oil) and a UV light. Run for a couple days and take a look with the light at dusk - you'll see it ;)

It would have to be several quarts over full for it to be a problem - in fact, it's a very good idea to run 1 quart over full. Save your $$$.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
wow. alright ill degrease it. it very well could just be left over oil...cuz it was really bad before..ill check with Aaron..he said he saw some red fluid so we replaced one of the power steering hoses with SS braided hose..and no i didnt get the flange replaced...could it be that? ill call aaron tommorow and ask him..and ill check my oil filter at work..i think that was leaking a bit..can i just take it off and put it back on?

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
hrm i think it might be that...i was looking at it today and i saw some oil accumulating on the filter..theres also another spot where it had one drop of oil leak..it was about a foot back from where the filter oil was drippin..ill double check everything else...and i think i recall aaron saying something about the cps o ring..ill look into that one.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
jdub;1547050 said:
CPS O-ring, turbo feed, oil filter, oil cooler lines. Are you sure it's motor oil and not P/S fluid?

Could easily be what's left on the outside of the motor from the leak - do what supraguy said. If it's an active leak, get some UV dye (made for oil) and a UV light. Run for a couple days and take a look with the light at dusk - you'll see it ;)

It would have to be several quarts over full for it to be a problem - in fact, it's a very good idea to run 1 quart over full. Save your $$$.

J dub": "Could easily be what's left on the outside of the motor from the leak - do what supraguy said. If it's an active leak, get some UV dye (made for oil) and a UV light. Run for a couple days and take a look with the light at dusk - you'll see it"
This new to me so don't give me a hard time,.. besides, I just woke up. "LOL" I'm gonna asume you can get this dye at a Parts store? Where do you get the light? harbor frieght/ Depot?
Why is it good to run a qaurt over???

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Most parts stores will have a kit or just buy a bottle of the dye and a UV flash light off eBay. You can Google both as well to come up with a bunch of vendors for these products. Tracerline is one of the bigger names - they sell a kit that includes dye for the AC, coolant, and oil plus a light.

Running a quart over is "insurance" against the pump pick-up ever becoming uncovered under turns, acceleration or deceleration. If the pick-up ever does at high RPM, the motor is toast in a nanosecond. There is zero adverse effect with a extra quart in the pan.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
J dub,

How much oil does it take before the crankshaft starts to aerate the oil ( sorry about the spelling) ( when the crankshafts beats the oil, a whippng like action so that the oil foams up causing air bubbles in the oil.) Obviously one quart won't do this.
NOT an argument: Seems to me that the oil pump is fairly submereged in the pan, I would think that it would have to be an extreme turn or acceleration in order to cause the pump to be expose to air. What about driving on a very extremly steep grade, the angle of the car is enough to move all the oil to one end of the pan, I've done that before, you outta see some of the hillls here, it didn't seem to hurt anything (I don't think it did). Overall I do agree with you.
Agian, just trying to learn something.
B.T.W. Thanks for your answer from the last post!!