ALL MN Supra

acetmi

Apr 27, 2005
MN
Hey guys,

I need some help regarding a BHG job. I'm thinking whether I should use a Toyota gasket, or go all out for the metal. Obviously the factor here is price... So, can you recommend a good machinist in the twin cities area and suburbs, and what cost I'm looking at to machine the head? Also, apart from a MHG which is more expensive, any other hidden cost if I select a MHG?

Thanks. :)

acetmi
(Supra owned by a broke-ass college student = not too wise...)

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
acetmi said:
Hey guys,

I need some help regarding a BHG job. I'm thinking whether I should use a Toyota gasket, or go all out for the metal. Obviously the factor here is price... So, can you recommend a good machinist in the twin cities area and suburbs, and what cost I'm looking at to machine the head? Also, apart from a MHG which is more expensive, any other hidden cost if I select a MHG?

Thanks. :)

acetmi
(Supra owned by a broke-ass college student = not too wise...)

If there was ever a topic with tons of info available this would be it. I suggest a good searchy search :)

As for machinists in the MSP area that's a good question......

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Head werks is excellent. I usually use the machine shop at NAPA, which is in St. Paul. I would expect to pay $70-80 to get the head resurfaced and cleaned.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I just got my head back from Import Engines on 2nd ave north. They were highly recommended by a shop here in St. Cloud who specialses in Imports. The head looks awesome. Now if I can just get my buddy to put her back together ASAP.
Today I got a call from Jeff Tamulis. He's the guy working with Jon at MDC on the group buy for the upgraded CT-26. The man knows so much about turbos. My new turbo will be in next week and makes these look small. Can't wait to stomp a Mustang GT.

Dan

Celica Supra

Banned
Mar 31, 2005
Saint Paul, Minnesota
leecheater said:
I just got my head back from Import Engines on 2nd ave north. They were highly recommended by a shop here in St. Cloud who specialses in Imports. The head looks awesome. Now if I can just get my buddy to put her back together ASAP.
Today I got a call from Jeff Tamulis. He's the guy working with Jon at MDC on the group buy for the upgraded CT-26. The man knows so much about turbos. My new turbo will be in next week and makes these look small. Can't wait to stomp a Mustang GT.

Dan
Mustang GT are slow. race one with K&N CAI and exhaust. roll 40 MPH. Beat him by one car but that was before my unlce and I put a MHG oon. after the MHG the Supra seem so slow.:nono:

oh yea mods.
Ct-26 boost 15psi
3 inch turbo back straight pipe
550cc/Lex/S-AFC/ AFPR/255 FP
Intake filter and Saab Bypass valve/ NGKplugs and MSD 9mm wires
maybe 300+whp

daoshao

May 15, 2006
Minnesota
acetmi said:
Thanks guys about the machine shops. Ill check them out. :)

yeah, check out head werks...its by my parents house in bloomington....they do a great job. 3 honda heads and 1 7mgte head machined at that shop.

Apexa

Jun 14, 2005
Minnesota
hmmm. i smacked up rear driver side drifting..
anyone got a spare sawblade (don't need tire, unless it's dirt cheap) and maybe a control arm they could part with? :D

Apexa

Jun 14, 2005
Minnesota
leecheater said:
Apexa, I have four of them. I live in St. Cloud. Send me a pm and we will work something out. It's yours for the asking.

Dan

as cheap as you're willing to part with one haha. i don't know what the going rate for one sawblade is, or if you want to ship it or not.
are they in good condition??

Apexa

Jun 14, 2005
Minnesota
oh, also. if someone has a 89+turbo ECU, i would be more than grateful if you could swing by my shop to let us plug it in to my car, to see if MY ECU is shot. i don't need to buy yours, unless you have an extra one that's still in good shape. but that's only thing left we can think of that's wrong with my car. just call them and let them know if you can make it, and if you need directions
the number is 952 641 9000
thanks a lot!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
They are off my 87. Never seen snow. I took them off and put on new MKIV wheels. St. Cloud is not far away. On Thurdays, I work evenings at Urgent Care in Monticello. I could throw 1 or all in my trunk. I usually finish at 8 pm or so. Just take them away, no charge. 320-248-3005.

Dan

Apexa

Jun 14, 2005
Minnesota
leecheater said:
They are off my 87. Never seen snow. I took them off and put on new MKIV wheels. St. Cloud is not far away. On Thurdays, I work evenings at Urgent Care in Monticello. I could throw 1 or all in my trunk. I usually finish at 8 pm or so. Just take them away, no charge. 320-248-3005.

Dan

that's awesome. if you'd want to just bring two, that'd be great. and i can give you a call in a couple days to set something up!
just out of curiousity.. tires or no? just need to know to know which vehicle i gotta take to fit em inside
thanks again, Dan!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I just took a quick look. They have been taking up space in my basement. Two have tires, Kuhmos. I will keep them, but the other 2 are ready to go. Both have a little curb rash. Put there by original owner. I have been running the MKIV wheels for the past several years.
Let me know if you want to meet me in Monticello after work Thursday night. My car is currently down. I had a exhaust manifild leak. When we took her apart. We found my turbo was shot, so new turbo is on the way thanks to Jeff Tamulis. He's the guy with the group buy for the upgraded CT-26. Mine will be bigger, with a huge exhaust side. More about this later as I am sworn to keep specifics quiet for now.
Also had head redone, Cometic head gasket and ARP studs, fuel pressure regulator, and intercooler pipes powder coated.

Dan

Apexa

Jun 14, 2005
Minnesota
leecheater said:
I just took a quick look. They have been taking up space in my basement. Two have tires, Kuhmos. I will keep them, but the other 2 are ready to go. Both have a little curb rash. Put there by original owner. I have been running the MKIV wheels for the past several years.
Let me know if you want to meet me in Monticello after work Thursday night. My car is currently down. I had a exhaust manifild leak. When we took her apart. We found my turbo was shot, so new turbo is on the way thanks to Jeff Tamulis. He's the guy with the group buy for the upgraded CT-26. Mine will be bigger, with a huge exhaust side. More about this later as I am sworn to keep specifics quiet for now.
Also had head redone, Cometic head gasket and ARP studs, fuel pressure regulator, and intercooler pipes powder coated.

Dan

alright, sounds good. i'm not too worried about a little curb rash, as long as i can get a new tire on them. since one of mine's been broken.
thursday will be great, i just have to get everything worked out today with the buddy that's getting them for me.
hence the needing of the rim/tire and control arm, my supra is down as well
it's got an upgraded ct-26, too. it's a t3/t4 hybrid, and i've got intake, fluidyne radiator, and an apexi blow off valve, and a rebuilt, ported head, HKS metal head gasket, and ARP head bolts. nothing too major whatsoever yet, as we've been trying to figure out a fuel cut problem on it for the past year. finally ran out of ideas, and are gonna try and find a new ECU for it, since we think we fried it, haha.