all brake options

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
I just want to see all of what has been done. Not all the details, I can search for that when I know what to look for.

What brake options have been used?

I know there is Wilwood, Corba and apparently A80 brakes bolt on (if so they'd be improperly aligned)...any others that people have done? Thats all I am interested in.

Thanks, Kyle.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
check out arz. doward did a 13in brakes group buy and the front of mk4s you have to custom fit and the rears fit with slight mods.

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
hvyman;1353145 said:
check out arz. doward did a 13in brakes group buy and the front of mk4s you have to custom fit and the rears fit with slight mods.

I am thinkin I am going out on a limb and doin somethin myself. Brackets are easy to make and I may think about trying to adapt aluminum LS400 4 pistons, since my car will only weight 2600lb or so. It is a 77 Celica that I am fab-installing A70front/rear suspension in. If the A80 calipers are doable then the LS ones are as well. Same mount dimensions.

Dowards is wayyy too expensive and I am not big on those A80 4th gen iron calipers. Per my app, I dont think they are really needed.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dowards brake set-up uses Mustang calipers, not A80. It's not that expensive either...~$600 for the front (including calipers) iirc.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
tacoma_kyle;1353624 said:
I am thinkin I am going out on a limb and doin somethin myself. Brackets are easy to make and I may think about trying to adapt aluminum LS400 4 pistons, since my car will only weight 2600lb or so. It is a 77 Celica that I am fab-installing A70front/rear suspension in. If the A80 calipers are doable then the LS ones are as well. Same mount dimensions.

Dowards is wayyy too expensive and I am not big on those A80 4th gen iron calipers. Per my app, I dont think they are really needed.

*laughes* Waaaay too expensive huh? $35/ea rotors, $100/ea calipers, $100 brake lines, and $250 brackets is waaaaay expensive?

It's cheaper and better than the current 'cheap BBK' - the Nightpager kit. It's 1/2 the price of Andy's 13" Wilwood BBK.

You're the third person I've heard claim that my kit is expensive. Where are you getting that impression?

I know MKIII guys can be cheap, but what do you want - a 13" BBK for free? :3d_frown:

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
Nope, certainly not expensive compared to others at retail....but from my view...

Based off my experience with gettin a -few- things water jet, it is dirt cheap compared to your 260. I got a adapter I drew up done for 25 bucks. That was their minimum charge. Yeah they gave me a 'student discount,' whatever that amounted to.

Then a pair of rings to properly seat the rotor.

That is all it is, correct? Maybe bolts too?

Sorry, that is a bit much for somethin I could do myself. That's my perspective.

Whoops....but my adapter does this...which is much more difficult to create...25 bucks.

sm_photo_missing.jpg