Air Intake Setup

belair7mgte

Jul 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Now hopefully this hasn't already been answered, but with the research I've done and to my knowledge it hasnt, but with the HPS Silicone Air Intake hosing (pictured below), and the K&N air intake, where exactly would be a performance efficient spot to put my hks ssqv bov? Looking at the HPS, it doesnt necessarily look like a place I'd put bov...lol. Just asking for a few hints, much appreciated!

Robby

4i0yu9.jpg

If you are near stock regarding the turbo, use the biggest connection for the BOV. That is the way the stock one connects. If you have a modified turbo and need higher BOV flow, you will need to make an adapter in the silicone version (or stock version) of the accordion if you want to recirculate it. I did that for my Raptor by drilling the hose with a 1-1/2" hole saw, making up curved sheet steel flanges for 1-1/2 OD copper fittings (probably 1-1/4" nominal size) and soldering one flange to a stub piece of copper tubing, inserted from the inside of the hose. The other flange was slipped over the top, and drilled through to the bottom flange. About six double nutted and loctited #4-40 screws were used to hold the assembly in the hose. A copper ell was epoxied to the stub tubing using sheet metal screws for backup. Soldering was out of the question due to hose temperature limitations. OD of the elbow was 1-1/2", same as the discharge of the Raptor BOV.

I mounted my elbow on the bottom of the hose, and ran a piece of reinforced vinyl hose under the AFM through a bulkhead hole to the BOV, mounted in the right fender to hide it from the inspection police. LOWes has the hose, 1-1/2" ID. I painted it black.

Hope this helps.

BernieK
'91T, non-targa, refreshed JDM, Walbro, Lex, 550cc ND injectors, 57 trim turbo at 17 PSI (at 3000 pipe), '98 wheels and engine mounts (strong!), Lipp, modified stock FPR, Treadstone IC, hardpipes, Cometic, ARP, Random Tech 3" single cat downpipe, HKS LET-T16 exhaust, Exedy organic clutch (street use), Cr-Mo light flywheel, Raptor BOV (recirculated), deflashed valve bowls, exhaust helicoils, tower strut.

belair7mgte;1386760 said:
Now hopefully this hasn't already been answered, but with the research I've done and to my knowledge it hasnt, but with the HPS Silicone Air Intake hosing (pictured below), and the K&N air intake, where exactly would be a performance efficient spot to put my hks ssqv bov? Looking at the HPS, it doesnt necessarily look like a place I'd put bov...lol. Just asking for a few hints, much appreciated!

Robby

4i0yu9.jpg

belair7mgte

Jul 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
berniek;1386788 said:
If you are near stock regarding the turbo, use the biggest connection for the BOV. That is the way the stock one connects. If you have a modified turbo and need higher BOV flow, you will need to make an adapter in the silicone version (or stock version) of the accordion if you want to recirculate it. I did that for my Raptor by drilling the hose with a 1-1/2" hole saw, making up curved sheet steel flanges for 1-1/2 OD copper fittings (probably 1-1/4" nominal size) and soldering one flange to a stub piece of copper tubing, inserted from the inside of the hose. The other flange was slipped over the top, and drilled through to the bottom flange. About six double nutted and loctited #4-40 screws were used to hold the assembly in the hose. A copper ell was epoxied to the stub tubing using sheet metal screws for backup. Soldering was out of the question due to hose temperature limitations. OD of the elbow was 1-1/2", same as the discharge of the Raptor BOV.

I mounted my elbow on the bottom of the hose, and ran a piece of reinforced vinyl hose under the AFM through a bulkhead hole to the BOV, mounted in the right fender to hide it from the inspection police. LOWes has the hose, 1-1/2" ID. I painted it black.

Hope this helps.

BernieK
'91T, non-targa, refreshed JDM, Walbro, Lex, 550cc ND injectors, 57 trim turbo at 17 PSI (at 3000 pipe), '98 wheels and engine mounts (strong!), Lipp, modified stock FPR, Treadstone IC, hardpipes, Cometic, ARP, Random Tech 3" single cat downpipe, HKS LET-T16 exhaust, Exedy organic clutch (street use), Cr-Mo light flywheel, Raptor BOV (recirculated), deflashed valve bowls, exhaust helicoils, tower strut.

Anyway you could in the future provide a pic of the setup? Like if I were to have that secondary intake where would I mount the bov? Thanks

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
You do know the actual BOV itself isn't mounted to the intake pipe right? Only the vent/purge line goes back into the intake.(After the AFM, before the turbo inlet) The actualy BOV mounts to the intercooler pipe, hence so it can purge compressed air.

belair7mgte

Jul 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
dumbo;1386914 said:
You do know the actual BOV itself isn't mounted to the intake pipe right? Only the vent/purge line goes back into the intake.(After the AFM, before the turbo inlet) The actualy BOV mounts to the intercooler pipe, hence so it can purge compressed air.

Yea i know the bov mounts to the intercooler pipe, ima noob but not THAT big of one XD (just being honest) and i do know about it mounting after the afm otherwise it hoses the sensor, but since i need to remove the diverter I was curious is the diverter located after or before the afm? Thanks for your input