Aged Tires = Death ?

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Hey all, not sure if many have seen this video about old tires being sold to consumers saying they are "new" tires, but its certainly worth a look. As soon as I watched it I ran outside to check my 3 month old "NEW" toyo tires, but wasnt able to find this magic "age number". Do toyo's have a different numbering system?

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerindex?id=4826897

Any body else have "expired" tires?

THIS IS VERY CONCERNING!!!!! :aigo:

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Ok I did some more searching on my tires, found the age....

Sidewall : DOT CXKT AMP0108

01 = 1st week
08 = 2008

*BIG SIGH* They are new tires :icon_bigg

BUT CHECK YOU OWN PEOPLE!!!!!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Saw this about a month ago, off of the DFWSupras site.

I have a set that I am selling cheaper to local DFW folks, because they're older. I put them in the attic so that I could use them later, until I saw this deal. Figured someone could get some use out of 'em, before they expire.

Haven't had any takers, so probably gonna go practice my driftin' skills with the current new set, so that I can mount those sooner.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
I just got a flat on Monday. At first I thought I picked up a nail or screw, but when I jacked up the car and spun the wheel and couldn't find anything I took the wheel off. Much to my surprise, I found a pea sized hole in my sidewall right on the date stamp, which by the way is dated 2000. I just got these tires in August of last year and got a great deal on them. So I decided to check the other 3 out and it turns out, 3 of the 4 are dated from 2000 and the other, 2004. Basically I have to get 4 new tires now! :3d_frown: Learned a couple lessons. 1) Don't buy tires for cheap & 2) Always check the date. I'm just thankful they didn't blow out on me on the highway or wherever.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I just checked my "new" tires.

Left side tires - 01 08
right side tires - 01 07

Hmmm.....I guess I'm not in imminent danger, but I would have been happier if they were all made in at least the same year.

I have to put tires on my wifes car tomorrow, so this post could not have been more timely for me. Thanks.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
SupraRon;1132608 said:
I just got a flat on Monday. At first I thought I picked up a nail or screw, but when I jacked up the car and spun the wheel and couldn't find anything I took the wheel off. Much to my surprise, I found a pea sized hole in my sidewall right on the date stamp, which by the way is dated 2000. I just got these tires in August of last year and got a great deal on them. So I decided to check the other 3 out and it turns out, 3 of the 4 are dated from 2000 and the other, 2004. Basically I have to get 4 new tires now! :3d_frown: Learned a couple lessons. 1) Don't buy tires for cheap & 2) Always check the date. I'm just thankful they didn't blow out on me on the highway or wherever.

Call up Ziggy, he hooked me up.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
It is required by law for every tire to have a valid DOT # with a date on it on one side of the tire. If you have directional tires, 2 of the 4 you wont see the date on because they're flipped.

Responsible auto shops have a good rotation of tires and return tires to the warehouse when they are nearing 3-4 years old. *such as my shop.

Dont be alarmed if you get 4 tires that are not dated the same or are a few months to a year old. The date on the tire is exactly when it was made and it takes time for them to get from the manufacture to the warehouse, then out to retail stores. On most of our tires atm, were seeing the early weeks of 2008 or the mid to late 2007.

A tire on a car is good for about 4-5 years from born on if its put on within about a year of being made, and most people do 12,000-15,000 miles a year. so you should be nearing time for replacement due to tread at or before the time when the tires are dried out enough to start to be a risk factor.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CryoSlash;1132678 said:
Call up Ziggy, he hooked me up.

Yeah I PM'd him. Waiting for a reply. In the meantime, I got a quote on 255/40R17 Azeni RT 615's for $700 installed, mounted, balanced and disposal.

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
This thread reminds of my old boss's corvette. 93 model year with less than 30 thousand miles on it, and original tires. You would think an engineer would realize that this is not a good thing.

FranklinWaters

Lurker, with BIG PLANS!
Mar 1, 2008
Louisville, KY
I did not know this...I checked my jeep tires and they were all made with in a few weeks of each other in 07'. Next I will check my Supra tires when it gets back from the shop.:3d_frown:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'll go more into this and say that not all tires are created equal, and they don't age at the same rates.

Depends on climate, air used in the tire (nitrogen doesn't oxidize the rubber), the compound used on the tire, ect...

But, most tires give warning signs (dry rotting isn't hard to see, not to mention cracks in the sidewall), but who really inspects their tires?