Aftermarket Tow Hooks

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
I've gone through the few threads I found about these and haven't really be able to find anyone that does offer these specifically for the Supra. However, one of my friends actually has made tow hooks for the Miata guys and asked me if I wanted a set for the Supra. I'm definitely going to take him up on his offer, but I'm at the mercy of his availability. His job also sends him out of state, as does mine, so getting this done won't really be quick, I'm thinking. We've been taking some measurements for the front tow hook and talking about it. He said it would be easier and less expensive to make a static one instead of one with a threaded rod, to take off when you're on the streets.

Here are some pictures of the ones he makes for the Miata guys

DSC_3334.jpg
RobHookFrontMountedRed.jpg
RobHookRearRV.jpg
NBRearGreen.jpg

Here's the site with more pictures on them: http://projectgla.com/ryoku/

I
've seen these on a lot of the Miata's and they look really nice. I went up with them when they had a Laguna Seca Track day and they came in handy.

Just showing you guys what I'll be getting. LMK what you think about it. Please don't clutter it with "Only for the track," "better not use these on the street," or "that's what ricers do," etc. I'm just showing what my friend makes and that I'll be getting one made from him and want some feedback on the design possibilities. I'm hoping to get my new bumper in before it's done to get it to fit with the stock and new bumper.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'd be interested in a set that is able to get past my intercooler piping! My stock front hooks were much too low, so they've been removed. I can provide pictures if it'll help.

I'd also want 'em to be steel since I've broken a couple AL hooks.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
It generally is, but the ones I've used needed some flex for pulling out of ditches at an angle, the AL ones I had originally used just snapped off and left the car stranded. Those were upgraded to steel for that reason only. Aluminum ones can work, but they are generally closer to the frame with less length to flex on/snap.

Lucky for me, I haven't had an off in the Supra where I needed a front hook, but it is something I'd like to have.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Also in the same boat as toyotanos this was my fix (stock bracket bolted with bumper mount bolt) , but these may look nicer I would also be interested in steel

9e5y7upu.jpg

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
personally a fan of the OEM (JDM) hook;

23k9b8x.jpg

and not the factory tie down points (for the boat ride) as seen above....

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Looks nice, but I'd want one for each side, and I'd be worried that it won't clear the IC pipes. If it can work, I'm all for that style!

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
After looking underneath where the front tow hook sits, it's inevitable that some intercooler piping will not clear. Just depends on your setup, as everybody's is a little different. Right now, for the front, we're thinking to probably do a 2 piece like this one:

p2007953_1.jpg

p2007953_2.jpg

When he does decide on how he will make it, I'll test it on a Pre-89 and 89+ bumper. Also, if I can get my new bumper in soon enough, that one too.