Aftermarket steering wheel.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Two questions :

One: 91/92. Is the cruise control on the wheel, or the stalk?

Two: Are there any aftermarket steering wheels that have build in radio controls? It's a difficult thing to google as all the results are talking about integrating factory radio controls on the steering wheel with aftermarket radios... I'm looking at adding steering wheel radio controls to a car that never came with them in the first place....

I guess if the answer to question One is on the wheel then I want an aftermarket steering wheel that has cruise control and radio controls... hah.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
91-92 had the stalk yes.

If the radio does not have wires for the steering wheel controls(like any stock mk3 radio) then you wont be able to do that. 1 option for the "stock look" would be to use a scion or tundra stock radio as some of them are PnP.

Also it might be a bit tricky for the wires to get from the steering wheel through the column to the radio with out twisting around the column when you turn. And no extra wire will not work.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
hvyman said:
91-92 had the stalk yes.

Bueno, thanks.

hvyman said:
If the radio does not have wires for the steering wheel controls(like any stock mk3 radio) then you wont be able to do that. 1 option for the "stock look" would be to use a scion or tundra stock radio as some of them are PnP.

Also it might be a bit tricky for the wires to get from the steering wheel through the column to the radio with out twisting around the column when you turn. And no extra wire will not work.

I'm looking for a wheel that does not stand out, nothing flashy, just nice and subtle but I have a huge thing for radio controls on my wheel. The radio I use will definitely be compatible. I'm not thinking I'm going to be able to find anything. I've considered a stock replacement from another vehicle. If I get the Supra I'm looking at getting in two weeks I'll pursue it a little more. I also want a wheel that's smaller, I'm a really big dude and having a smaller wheel makes the car a lot more comfortable for me :)

I've thought about the issue of putting wires where there have not been any before but that's never stopped me before :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The stock wheels use a little turn table type od deal. where the wheel has the little needle and the column has the staionary circuit board and the need rides around on the circuit board. No wire to twist around. Something like that needs to be used.

As for the buttons
http://www.supradupra.com/
check out some this guys work. All of his stuff is custom. Buttons can be mounted.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Some aftermarket head units have wireless steering wheel controls. They stick to the wheel with double stick tape. Blaupunkt used to sell one, I had it, it worked well.

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
I know this is a little old but will most toyota steering wheels bolt up to the Supra shaft? I mean if he got a scion H/U with steering wheel controls could you upgrade the steering wheel out of a TC or something with the steering wheel controls and use that?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
NoLimitslja;1746955 said:
I know this is a little old but will most toyota steering wheels bolt up to the Supra shaft? I mean if he got a scion H/U with steering wheel controls could you upgrade the steering wheel out of a TC or something with the steering wheel controls and use that?
Partially... most wheels bolt up, however, the wiring does not, and the bits that allow you to turn the wheel and maintain an electrical connection definitely do not. It's not impossible to add, however, it's not easy.

Best method - well, simplest, anyway, would be to fab a stalk mount for the cruise controls, then use a stock 89 wheel and redo the buttons on the wheel for the radio.