Aftermarket Steering wheel Question

excelsupra

Jan 24, 2009
Cerritos, CA
I did a search, but couldn't really find what I was looking for. My question is to the people who have the Nrg hub/quick releases, does the horn still work? I know in my pervious car (s14 240sx), it did not work, I think maybe because it had an airbag, but im not sure.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I didnt bother trying to hook mine up with the momo wheel and hub... i've thought about going back, but its one of those "oh i'll do it another time" which in supra terms... means never.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
What I did was cut the cruse control pins and trim the horn one enough so the hub would sit flat but still contact the backing. Worked perfect.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
borhor you dont happen to have any pics do you? i have a momo wheel and i just used a long wire and the insulation kinda wore off so when i turn sometimes the horn goes off im about ready to just to forget the horn all together.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
hvyman;1237469 said:
borhor you dont happen to have any pics do you? i have a momo wheel and i just used a long wire and the insulation kinda wore off so when i turn sometimes the horn goes off im about ready to just to forget the horn all together.

Nope I did it a long time ago. And if I had access to a MK3 I would but as of right now I do not.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I have A spearco flash 5 mounted to the NRG V2 quick release on a momo adpater.

With the combo deal of the NRG & the momo it sticks the steering wheel out further and closer to the driver I plan to keep the horn ring installed and just use the two red buttons for the horn, lol I dont need them for NOS after all I am not paul walker.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
how do u get a constant contact between the steering wheel and wires from the horn with the aftermarket steering wheel...? w/o directly running wires n them twisting when you turn =-,

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
My girl's Momo hub came with a ground wire hook up, not sure what the hell it's for, but I'm going to install that hub soon. It already had an aftermarket wheel so installation of the TT-R wheel was straight forward, but she complains about the horn, so we'll see if swapping the hub will work..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
on the momo adapter it has the ground wire which you can use, but the stock one uses kinda like a circuit board the can turn with out needing wires. all the switch does is ground the circuit going to the horn itself.

borhor is that wat you did was just trim down the connector that goes threw the stock wheel?

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Supra-Man18;1238945 said:
how do u get a constant contact between the steering wheel and wires from the horn with the aftermarket steering wheel...? w/o directly running wires n them twisting when you turn =-,

You keep your copper slipring and modify it so it mounts and does buisness as usual just like the oem setup.

Again though the momo apadter + NRG v2 brings your steering wheel out more so trying to flick the turn signals becomes a little bit more of a challange thats all.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
hvyman;1238990 said:
on the momo adapter it has the ground wire which you can use, but the stock one uses kinda like a circuit board the can turn with out needing wires. all the switch does is ground the circuit going to the horn itself.

borhor is that wat you did was just trim down the connector that goes threw the stock wheel?

I took that board out and used the connector under it. I don't really remember what it looked like exactly but I do remember there were 3 pins (I think there were 4 or something for the cars with airbags). I grounded each one until I found the horn. After that I cut the other 2 pins flat, and cut the horn one short enough so the hub can sit flat while still contacting the back of the hub. Hope that helps.