Aftermarket Shift Knob Install, I need a basic how to, thanks.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
1: Remove stock "Shift Knob" from "Shift Lever" by "unscrewing" it (spinning counter-clockwise) until it is no longer attached to "Shift Lever".
2: Set stock Shift Knob aside.
3: Retrieve aftermarket Shift Knob.
4: Place aftermarket Shift Knob onto Shift Lever, align Shift Knob and tighten "Set Screws" using "Allen Key" type wrench.
5: ???
6: Profit.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Dave: I agree with that. My bro had a Momo universal knob on his Maxima for years, no issues. It made it's own indents, though. Pretty soft steel in the lever I suppose.

Of course, a screw-on type shift knob is preferred, but it seems like he already has a universal type knob lined up for this project.

In which case, should the OP have a screw on type knob, when you hit step #4 Just reverse the steps, making sure you use the new shift knob and not the old one of course.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I had one on my truck (it was metal) and I filled the cavity with JB weld then drilled and tapped it as the setscrews never held good enough.

I can't think of a single car that comes with a shift knob with setscrews from the factory...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
get a high quality shift knob, like a Razo, that comes with a plastic slip that'll thread itself and hold on tight..

I've had the one in my 89 for 4 years, removed many many times, and it still holds on tight without crossthreading...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I love my TRD knob. Not set screw, no insert, and leather goodness that's a bit heavier than stock for easier shifting :D

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
x3

here's the one in my 92

attachment.php

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Aftermarket shift knobs suck sometimes, esp those that you have to tighten the screws on. They would work themselves loose, so I taped the shaft and tightened them which helped a little bit. I eventually went back to stock. Looking to pick up a TRD knob sometime.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I knew someone that put in a knob from auto zone, bragged how easy it was to install with the set screw. A few weeks later the knob would rotate around and eventually became so loose that now it just comes off easy. I'm sure with some loctite on the set screw it would be fine but why go through all that when you can have the TRD knob show above.