aftermarket intercooler

supraboy

Jun 12, 2007
washington
right now the only intake mod i have is a k&n fipk intake, going to a cooleze turbo inlet, soon to go maft pro and get rid of the afm. but eventually i wanna shoot for around 800 horses

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
stick with the stock intercooler, until you upgrade from the ct26. We dyno'd a car here, and it made around 30 rwhp less with a 3 inch I/C as opposed to the stocker... But thats just due to the loss of flow.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
CryoSlash said:
stick with the stock intercooler, until you upgrade from the ct26. We dyno'd a car here, and it made around 30 rwhp less with a 3 inch I/C as opposed to the stocker... But thats just due to the loss of flow.
Wha??

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
CryoSlash said:

I don't see how that is even possible, unless there was a problem with the installation. Any 7m with an upgraded ct26 making over 300whp would benifit from an intercooler upgrade. It's not the first mod I would do though, an aftermarket exhaust would be first.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
OfnaRcR4 said:

Stock CT26 = not as much airflow as a better turbo (duh?) therefore it has trouble pushing a volume of air through a larger intercooler than the stock one. This can lead to more turbo lag, etc.

Buy a turbo with more CFM (pretty much anything other than a stock CT26) to counter this problem.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Its an interesting topic, since I can see both points holding very well..

I can see it happening if the intercooler is ridiculous in size... but you're right, if its not that much bigger it shouldn't make a big difference, unless its a really really crappy IC.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I installed a bigger style spearco replica with 2.5" hardpipes recently, I haven't lost any spool time, and I'm making quite a bit more than what I was making before, but the hardpipes help too. My boost went up also.

supraboy

Jun 12, 2007
washington
ya i have a turbonetics t3 ball bearing turbo, with 3" exhaust all the way back, the heads been rebuilt and rebalanced, so its definetely not the first upgrade, lol.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Back in the day, Cartech put their Spearco cored kit on an otherwise stock Supra, and it picked up 11 hp. At stock boost levels with the CT26.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Nick M said:
Back in the day, Cartech put their Spearco cored kit on an otherwise stock Supra, and it picked up 11 hp. At stock boost levels with the CT26.

great design cartech and spearco.

800 horsepower is not your average daily driver hehe

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Hmm... All things being equal, the larger cooler should in theory allow for more flow, but if there is a difference in core design, or other factors, It could cost power going to A/M v/s the stock setup. (But I don't see very many ways it could do that allowing for the size area we have up front anyway.)

Fact is, even the stock CT-26 can flow plenty of air to fill up even the largest FMIC the Supra could sport. So even you if ripped the front bumper off, and mounted an intercooler from a MACK truck, it might increase the lag, but it would have less pressure drop across the core than the stock one in theory when your running a cooler designed for the airflow needs of motor that is 2 or 3 times the size of ours. (So, ultimate peak power might be higher due to the cooler charge, and increase from the loss in pressure drop across the core....)

That being said, I have a MAXX direct fit setup, supposed the flow fine up into the 750hp range, or better than 1000cfm of airflow with minimal pressure drop. (Or something like that.)

Best for flow are top/bottem tanks on our cars with the flow going up/down for maximum core openings, but most Ebay, and my own setup are side to side and your limited by the height/thickness dimension of the core that way much more than the top/bottem designs. (Read Corkey Bell's book on Turbo charging cars if you have more questions.) :)

Shorter pipes are good. Larger diameter pipes can increase lag at the gain of more flow. (But if they are much bigger than your throttle body, what's the point? Same goes for being much bigger than the exit of your compressor housing.... )

So with that in mind, when I made my pipes, I went 2.25" ID (Just slightly larger than the ID of the Compressor outlet.) pipe out of the compressor into 2.5" ID pipes and the IC that is 2.5" ID inlet and out, and then just before the throttle body, I have a 4' long 3" ID pipe section that feeds the throttle body. (My goal was to try and enlarge the plenum volume under WOT conditions, and the 2.5" feed pipe sticks into the 3" section about 8", so it's anti-reversion as well, and I have two 1" BOV's venting off this large 3" upper pipe, so it all worked out well.) I notice no increase in lag, and it seems to work well for the BOV's and other design parameters. The twin BOV's are Bosch, and leak under vac conditions, so they provide a shortcut to the TB, and bypass the turbo.. so better low end throttle response was the goal, and it seems to work fine...

Whew! sorry for the long post. :)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Well, if you are shooting for 800 ponies, then you've got bigger things to worry about. Ever see they white MKIII up at the top of some of the pages on here? That beast is laying down more than 800 ponies and what he is using is perfectly fine, but you will definitely NOT want to use something that large right off the bat. In other words. Once you start getting into the mid 300's, then you need to worry about a different IC, The bigger style spearco replica that Driftmotion sells *should* support more than 500 HP alone, take a look at it and you should have a good idea of what you'll need to have to be good for those extra 300 ponies...

supraboy

Jun 12, 2007
washington
ya i think im somewherein the three hundred range, but ok what im starting to see is that spearco is a commonly suggested one, wait is driftmotion like a knock off?