aftermarket diff options

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
I have an 87 NA that I'm working on a 1UZ swap. I'm going to swap out the 4.30's in the rear for taller gear and a different diff. I could just use turbo 3.93 with LSD but I've heard a lot of people that have swapped supra lsd diff in Hilux 8" rears. Wondering if anybody has messed with using pickup aftermarket diffs (Detroit soft locker) + gears in their Supras.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I was under the impression that the supra was a 7.5 same as the 2wd truck 7.5 diff. I could be wrong. I have only done one custom thing with my 2wd truck where I used a detroit trutrac lsd meant for a front 4wd 7.5 truck diff and used it in the back. Just had to buy different size carrier bearings.

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
I would avoid an auto locker, the increase rear tire wear, they are noisy, and their on road characteristics aren't the best. If you are after a posi type set-up, I would opt with an ARB locking differential. The ARB operates off of an air compressor, when engaged both axles are locked together, when disengaged you have an open differential. You might contact www.jawsgear.com, and see what ARB or other selectable lockers(possibly the Toyota e-locker) are available for the Supra diffs.

You might also consider splitting the difference between the 4.30's and 3.93's with a set of 4.10's. The RPM calculator here at Auto Calculators will give you an idea of engine speed at a given mph with the different gear combo's. For the transfer case #, just use 1 for the ratio.

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
Yes the supra is a 7.5. so is 2wd pickups and front IFS. 4wd pickups are a 7.8 but every one rounds up to 8". I measured the one in mine when I put a spool in it. I saw a build thread where a guy used a supra LSD in the rear of a V6 pickup housing. they are larger then the 4cyl housing. Just used different side bearings to get it to fit. Select able lockers a big$$ talking over 1K to get a ARB plus compressor. The Detroit soft locker is not noisy and engages very smooth. I've had friends that ran them in the front of their pickups not so good with wheeling but for a car think it work well.
Just exploring if any one has succesfully set one up just to give a wider variety of gear ratios and diffs.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
CATarga;1774655 said:
I would avoid an auto locker, the increase rear tire wear, they are noisy, and their on road characteristics aren't the best. If you are after a posi type set-up, I would opt with an ARB locking differential. The ARB operates off of an air compressor, when engaged both axles are locked together, when disengaged you have an open differential. You might contact www.jawsgear.com, and see what ARB or other selectable lockers(possibly the Toyota e-locker) are available for the Supra diffs.

You might also consider splitting the difference between the 4.30's and 3.93's with a set of 4.10's. The RPM calculator here at Auto Calculators will give you an idea of engine speed at a given mph with the different gear combo's. For the transfer case #, just use 1 for the ratio.

is jawsgear even around anymore?

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
87GWSupra;1774723 said:
..........Select able lockers a big$$ talking over 1K to get a ARB plus compressor. The Detroit soft locker is not noisy and engages very smooth. I've had friends that ran them in the front of their pickups not so good with wheeling but for a car think it work well..........
I run an auto locker in the front of one of my wheeling rigs that is still IFS, and it has held up fine, but it is only used on the trail. Pavement and cvs might not work well with an auto locker for a vehicle that is being driven daily. While an ARB would cost more to start with, the difference in price is only about 2 sets of rear tires, and you can often find the RD90 used for aunder $500.

Have you found any info on how much torque the stock cv's can handle?

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
IFS in a wheelin rig, thats a bummer, you have plans on a solid axle? I have an 85 toyota that has spools front and rear. Plans on doing an ARB in front some day. I've know people with autos in the front of their rigs (solid axles) when ever you pick up a tire their pretty much become open so never was a good option for me because of the wheeling that I do.

I don't know what kind of torque the CVs can handle. But being that their in the rear and not turning they can handle a good amount.