aftermarket coolant temp sensor install advice

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I'm looking to replace the stock coolant temp gauge with an aftermarket gauge from PLX Devices. I already have other PLX gauges, so this should be an easy install into their system.

The PLX sensor appears to be a VDO brand 1/8 NPT fluid temp sensor. I also purchased a 1/4 bspt to 1/8 npt adapter. My plan is to replace the stock sensor with this new setup. From what I've read on this board, there's no better place than where Toyota put their sensor (go figure ;))

My question is: looking at the pictures below, do you think that there is enough surface area exposed for the temp sensor to get accurate readings? I'm guessing that there is, but figured that I'd get some advice from the experts on this board. I'd hate to install this and get bogus temp readings.

photo4p.jpg

photo5v.jpg

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Pandaplastic;1402254 said:
Where did you get that adapter? I need one too!

The adapter is from a company called Adapt All. http://www.adaptall.com/ They make tons of different adapters and fittings. The part that I got was #9042-04-02, in steel which is a 1/4 male bspt to 1/8 female NPT, but that didn't work. They also make it in stainless and brass I believe.

Unfortunately, the temp sensor is larger than 1/4. The only size larger they make is 3/8 male, so I'll have to order that adapter and try it. I'm hoping the sensor isn't 1/2. They don't sell to the public, but are very nice on the phone and will direct you to a reseller in your local area.

I also picked up some 1/8 bspt plugs and 1/8 bspt to npt adapters to fit my aftermarket oil pressure sensor.

Last edited:

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I blocked off the stock gauge sensor with a bolt, I think it was an M12

I then drilled and tapped a hole to 1/8NPT for the sensor. I couldn't find an adapter to go from the M12 to 1/8NPT.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Enraged;1402763 said:
I blocked off the stock gauge sensor with a bolt, I think it was an M12

I then drilled and tapped a hole to 1/8NPT for the sensor. I couldn't find an adapter to go from the M12 to 1/8NPT.

Thanks Enraged. I'll pick up an M12 bolt tomorrow and see if that fits. If so I'll see if Adapt All makes an adapter. If not, I might have to go the route that you took.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
All of these adaptors are situated too long and do not have the sensor placed in the water flow properly as pictured in the first post. My tool box has about 8 different adaptors from different vendors and they all have the same fitment issue. I finally went to my local hydraulic hose fitting distributor and had an adaptor custom built. Only cost me $15 to have it made.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I really don't think its that crucial to have the sensor actually in the flow of the coolant. I would have a hard time believing that the temperature of the coolant would differ very much at all in the 1/2-3/4 inch the sensor is away from the flow of coolant. It would still be contacting the coolant and im sure that tiny volume would equalize with the flow moving past it.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
You could always leave the stock sender alone and drill and tap the thread size you need to the side of the coolant bypase. Puts the new sender right at the top of water neck.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Is there a reason the water bypass is there? Its completely in the way and clutters up the turbo side of the engine.

Im looking to replace the CSI time switch with the prosport 1/8th npt sender. I dont need it any longer and i use the stock coolant temp sender for the EMS, i want to rid my thermostat housing and cover of all unused components. ones i remove with no replacement will either be welded shut or replaced with a bolt and ill grind the head down just enough to be able to get it out just in case. Or maybe an allen head bolt or something.

Gonna tackle this later on, its out of season now and i have other things to take care of.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
LEAVE THE BYPASS! I had horrible warm up times with it blocked off. Dont know how it will affect things in the summer heat, but so far ive noticed a LOT more steady temps with it hooked back up.