Aftermarket cam sensors

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Has anyone used any of the non-OEM 1jz/2jz cam sensors like the ones on ebay and at the parts stores? All the aftermarket sensors seem to be made in China, probably all by the same factory. My cam sensors are leaking oil like mad and I think one of them might be starting to quit electronically, but I'm not sure if a pair of $30 sensors from the parts store will work the same as a pair of $100 sensors from Toyota. Saving $140 would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. :dunno:

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Update on this... I ordered a pair of "New aftermarket" cam sensors from an ebay seller called tom_and_joy and what I got was two sensors sealed in plastic pouches. Open them up and find two used and dirty OEM sensors. Couldn't have been returns because they were in pouches closed with tamper evident stickers by the seller. Seller says "they are honest" and that I'm wrong and even after I sent them photos of them they're still trying to tell me they're new and the cracks on the bolt holes and the Toyota laser etching and Denso logo are "commonly marking on parts". I ask them for an exchange and they refuse. Not even worth my time to pursue a refund because they were cheap enough I don't care.

I put one of them in and it works, I didn't get to try the other one. I don't know if they leak or not yet, but probably.

Whatever, just though I'd give everyone here a heads up not to expect actual new parts if you order new sensors from China. I don't know if all the sellers are selling these or if it's just these guys.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Good looking out. Its best to try to get oem parts from some of Toyota dealers that work with the forums such as Elmhurst Toyota or Toyota of Cool Springs. I have dealt with Elmhurst before and their prices and service cant be beat. Those aftermarket made in china ones usually tend to crack very quick where the pick-up is and don't last no where near as the oem ones would. Same would apply for speed sensors too.