Aftermarket bumper that looks good?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Some of the swing up plates are for aerodynamic reasons. The air blows them up out of the way at speed, and when you stop it falls back down by itself. Sort of trick.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Dub537h;1869282 said:
Pre 89 cars just look the best anyways :p

Meh, i really hoped not to make this into THAT thread. I'm not dead-set on updating, Both can look killer if done right. just looking for a good looking aftermarket piece. I've looked at the 86.5 front end for 21 years and to me, a kick-ass 89+ looks better than a kick ass 86.5. ;)

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Dub537h;1869282 said:
Pre 89 cars just look the best anyways :p

One of the differences between pre89 and 89+ owners:
Pre89ers have to convince themselves that the pre89 bumper looks better by having to say it. 89ers already know that the bumper looka good.

A second difference:
When an 89er does not like his front bumper setup, he just switches to one of many lip options. The pre89er on the other hand, has no option and just tells himself that the pre89 is better than an 89+

I actually like the pre89 bumper, even when the lip is oem. A pre89 with an HD lip...oh no.

Last edited:

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
And so it begins.

I used to prefer the updated 89 bumper, but I started appreciating my car as it is. Instead of trying to update the looks too much, I can try and keep it (mostly anyways) looking like a 1988. It's an older car, and it can be tough to change too much without clashing the different era styling and tastes. Now I much prefer the pre89 style, but it's just my opinion and there's no reason for me to argue or appreciate an 89+ car any less. After all, they have a much much better looking stock rear!

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
rodel;1869288 said:
Pre89ers have to convince themselves that the pre89 bumper looks better by having to say it. 89ers already know that the bumper looka good.

A second difference:
When an 89er does not like his front bumper setup, he just switches to one of many lip options. The pre89er on the other hand, has no option and just tells himself that the pre89 is better than an 89+

I actually like the pre89 bumper, even when the lip is oem. A pre89 with an HD lip...oh no.

True that.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
rodel;1869288 said:

A second difference:

Bah. Why make it about the owners now? That's weak.
Pre 89'ers don't have to convince themselves of anything. If they actually think the 89 looks better, they just bolt it on. With an update, the pre guy effectively has every option the 89+ guy has, PLUS the stock 89+ look itself that the guy in your example is already unhappy with. The pre-89'er keeps the stock front because he truly prefers it, not because he "has no option". In short, if you see a pre-89 out there, by this time, it's probably because the owner wants it that way.

On that note, allow me to play Devil's advocate...
There are scant few commercial options to customize the pre-89 bumper, even though 76% of all MK3's were made pre-1989 (excluding the JDM 1993 model).
If the 24% of MK3 owners who drive 89+ cars "already know that their bumper looks good", why is virtually every aftermarket bumper out there specifically designed to give the 89er a way to change how his front end looks? ;)

I'm not hating on the 89+, I've been half-heartedly trying to update for a while. I started this thread hoping for advice on finding an aftermarket front that looks close to 89+ OEM. It just irks me when a guy says he likes his own car and someone else has to tear him down for it. Can't we all just get along? :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
rodel;1869176 said:
California requires front license plates. I've received a couple of tickets for not having it.

The retracting license plate holderis useful. Visible plate while driving. Hide the plate whenever you want,for instances like car shows and o photoshoots.
Pretty clever... may have to look into one of those if I start getting bothered about it like I used to...

iruyle;1869594 said:
On that note, allow me to play Devil's advocate...
There are scant few commercial options to customize the pre-89 bumper, even though 76% of all MK3's were made pre-1989 (excluding the JDM 1993 model).
If the 24% of MK3 owners who drive 89+ cars "already know that their bumper looks good", why is virtually every aftermarket bumper out there specifically designed to give the 89er a way to change how his front end looks? ;)

It just irks me when a guy says he likes his own car and someone else has to tear him down for it. Can't we all just get along? :p
Well said sir. Personally I prefer the earlier bumper from an airflow perspective. Lot of air that could go through the radiator might just be passing up onto the hood of the 89+ bumper...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
As an owner of the first year (86.5), the revision year (89) and the last (92) I can say with confidence, that 89+ bumpers are better. There are no weird angles, the bumper is taller, and the nose piece flows nicely into the cowl.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
On the topic of body kits.... who makes those bolt on widebody fender extensions for this car? The ones that look like the nissan S chassis rocket bunny kit. I saw them on a flat black car here once but I can't find it now.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Shine auto project (google it) just had a group buy session for widebody fenders (35 mm wider I believe) and had Kaze rear widebody for the quarters. Not sure if those were what you were thinking of

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1869764 said:
On the topic of body kits.... who makes those bolt on widebody fender extensions for this car? The ones that look like the nissan S chassis rocket bunny kit. I saw them on a flat black car here once but I can't find it now.
Mightymk3 I believe is the guy's name you're thinking of... It's a nice setup. :)

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
RazoE;1869707 said:
As an owner of the first year (86.5), the revision year (89) and the last (92) I can say with confidence, that 89+ bumpers are better. There are no weird angles, the bumper is taller, and the nose piece flows nicely into the cowl.

what's your take on the 89+ bumper modified to remove the nose piece?