After your car has been down...

JtWo

Sniper
Apr 10, 2005
Bay Area
...for an EXTENDED period of time(I'm talking about a year and a half) and you're finally gonna get her back up. What are some areas to go over? I'm almost finished with the motor, the only other things i can think of are suspension, differential, and brakes. Am I missing anything else?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I always take my ecu fuse out and turn the motor over a few times to get some oil flowing through the turbo also. Then put it back in and try cranking it.

Have you checked your hoses for dry rotting?

JtWo

Sniper
Apr 10, 2005
Bay Area
I finished collecting most of the parts to get the car running(ordered clutch and flywheel, but my clutch still has some life left). So tommorrow I'll be retorquing the headbolts, replacing the hoses and lines that need to be replaced, and TRYING to clean up some wiring.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Also, you included suspension, but remember the really stupid stuff like making sure the wheels are on properly and torqued. Seems kind of ridiculous, but small stuff like that will catch you out when you're all excited and about to take it out for the 1st time.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Fresh fluids, of course. Also a very good cleaning inside and out. You'll be amazed at the number of things you will find, as you're "meticulously" cleaning things you've not even looked at over the last year. Make sure and take notes, making your list along the way.

Just like what was said about torquing the lug nuts. There will be a hundred things that you think you will not forget about, but we can tell you from experience that you will (unless you have a list to check things off of).

Good luck, let us know what you find...

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
when i prim my motor after it has been out or for whatever reason. i just take the EFI fuse out. crank till i see oil pressure then put it back in and it starts perfect everytime. i would drain the gas too for sure. and oil. might as well do new coolent too.

oh. be carful when draining the gas. you NEED a large pan type thing to drain it in. i tried a gas can and funnel and when i unbolted the plug. all hell let loose. gas poored out like a mofo. WATCH OUT.

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Another thing that I noticed when removing my rear bumper to move to the new chassis, ALL of the exhaust hangars are dry rotted. I went to lift the exhaust can on my Blitz NuR and the hangar in the back let go slamming my exhaust onto the ground (and nearly my head!) Might be something to check before you risk that happening on the road.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Fluids - ALL of them + bleed the radiator properly (heater tap open)
Hoses - Check and replace if needed
Wires - Check connections + Change fuses
Tyres + Check Wheel bearings
Brakes - Take apart and clean + Replace compnents if needed

JtWo

Sniper
Apr 10, 2005
Bay Area
this really helps guys, its making my list longer! I forgot to mention that both my supras have been victims to the cat converter thefts!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Oh, forgot another thing...

BRAKES

The rotors will rust pretty bad other that perid of time, maybe even bad enough that you can't move the car. Have the rotors machined if needed, and of course new pads...

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
how exciting!!! i have been waiting almost a year to get my car put back together and pretty soon i will be dropping in the newly rebuilt engine!! i cant wait lol. pretty much everything i could think of has already been said.. good luck take a vid of her running.