after winter start = no start

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
so i tried starting my car just right now after a couple months of winter. All i did to it over the winter was an HID installation so nothing drastic. Right before i stored it i did my fuel system swap lexus/580cc/walbro/FPR/Apex-i S-AFC and i put MAYBE 100 km on it.

Here's the thing....i get fuel pressure according to my guage. I'm not throwing any codes. My input settings on my S-AFC are the same as when i stored my car for winter. However, the only thing that worries me is that i do not hear the fuel pump...it's a walbro so it should be noticable and i know what it sounds like because i drove the car for around 100 km before storing it. My fuses are good, all wires are fine.....WTF happened here?? did a mouse crawl in my tank and destroy the connections??? is there a way i can actually test my fuel pump WITHOUT dropping the tank??

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
ok so i jumped Fp and B+ in the diagnostic box and i can hear my fuel pump. What does this mean?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
test for spark?

Our fuel pump only operates when the cam position sensor turns and when the key is turned to on it primes for a few seconds.

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
i don't think it's a spark issue....I know what the walbro sounds like and it definetly DIDN"T turn on when i had my key to "ON" before trying to start it.....but when i jumped b+ and Fp, i can hear it no problem....just doesn't turn off unless i turn the key to "OFF" or remove the jumper.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I think the point JJ was making, was that even though you couldn't hear the pump before jumping it, you would not have had fuel pressure without it pumping that pressure. Why not take the advise given and try the other advise given? Test your spark and report back.

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
ok maybe i didn't do my test correctly, but i think it did......i cranked my car for about 5 seconds and then i got out and checked my guage on my FPR....it was about 38 PSI with the vacuum line on, BUT it shouldn't matter because there is no vacuum to be had without the car running correct?? so does this mean that i AM receiving fuel pressure??

Also when i jumped the B+ and Fp and turned the ignition to "ON" the fuel pressure read above 40 PSI.

Another observation. With nothing jumpered at all, i did not smell raw fuel either during the crank or after the crank. Even with my face near the exhaust after cranking i could barely smell fuel.

So it's safe to say that it ISN'T something mechanically wrong with my pump. It must be something with my wiring to my ignition...somewhere......Could my S-AFC be the culprit?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Some advice from a guy who knows: Have faith in your instruments.

The fuel pump runs any time the key is at the start position. That's where the fuel pressure came from. It was higher when the pump was jumpered because battery voltage was lower during cranking and the regulator doesn't have enough vacuum to open then.

So yes, it's pretty safe to say there's nothing wrong with your pump. Sounds like you're not getting injection. If that were happening because of no spark you'd get a code. Since you claim no codes I'd be looking at the +12 feeding the injector resistor and coil packs.

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
can you advise me what the +12 feed is?? I really want to get my car out on the road tomorrow, especially after a crippling winter like we had this year.

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
Does it crank over with starter fluid? many a time has that helped in diagnostic of issues on cars for me. if It does, its a fuel issue, obviously. If not, check spark and compression.

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
well i tried checking codes again and i get a code 12...it could be 21, but that doesn't make sense since it is related to the O2 sensor. I'm thinking that perhaps my wiring of my S-AFC somehow disconnected at my splice to my ECU harness.

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
so i messed around with my CPS and my coil pack wiring....my car has life now!
thanks guys.