after the rebuild...

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
so not long ago, i did a HG job and have been driving the car on weekends since. it runs great, super smooth idle, smooth acceleration, and everything seems great.

except that i cant really feel much of a difference between 5psi and 10 psi. i can only vary this by throttle position, though (no boost controller). i am almost stock in terms of boost; i have one small washer on each wastegate bolt. as it stands now, my boost gauge (stock) goes just above the top line at WOT.

so yea, i cant tell a difference in acceleration when im at 4psi on the boost gauge (which is like 60% throttle) and 9 psi on the boost gauge (100% throttle). is this abnormal?

also, i hear a slight and completely regular ticking sound coming from my catalytic converter.

another fact: when i smogged my car, my HC count was only one point under the max allowed. i think max is like 175 ppm and i was at 174. the average score for this category is like 25ppm. all other emissions readings were near the averages and thus "normal".

is it possible my cat is damaged/malfunctioning? is it possible it is installed backwards? i was thinking about taking it off and seeing if the car runs better, but i know these cars run better without the cat so it wont really tell me THAT much.

my mods are intake, full turbo-back 3" exhaust, 2.5" hard pipes and spearco replica front mount.

i know high HC's can indicate incomplete combustion or too much fuel. should i start checking stuff like fuel pressure and the o2 sensor? is there a way to test the quality of the ignition system? (obviously it works, as the car runs smoothly. could it be running at less than optimal levels?)

sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any input. :)

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I don't have much knowledgeable(just from being on sm for a while I'm not a mechanic) input but is the timing set properly? Like have you done it according to the TSRM and jumped T1 E1 terminals and used a timing light to check that it is timed right? And just another bit of input about things like the coil packs... it's a very old car. The coilpacks, for example, have been sitting on top of the engine for many heat cycles. Wiring could be brittle and old and breaks in the insulation. Another good idea is doing the knock sensor rewire. IMO just do one thing at a time. Don't be so concerned about upping the boost until you have it running nice and all the little things fixed. The ticking cat sound could simply be your exhaust touching the side of your transmission too. You want to find all the annoying vibration sounds in your car? lol get solid motor mounts!

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
no codes. timing might be off by 1 or 1.5 degrees at most. i didnt get it RIGHT on the 10 BTDC line, but it is pretty damn close. and yes, i jumpered the appropriate terminals before adjusting the CPS.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Cat might be clogged as well, though that usually limits your exhaust flow to the point that you don't make as much boost period.