after market fuel cells??

b005t3d

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
bellevue,nashville, tn
what is the advantage of having an aftermarket fuel cell? seems to me that 15 gallons of gas in a perfectley good stock tank weighs the same amout as 15 gallons in a fuel cell. so, what is the difference? is it just a looks thing or are the fuel cells baffled differentley or what?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
I'd like to have one for a couple reasons...
- Stock location scares me a bit
- Bitch to get to filter and pump
- Cell looks purdy
- more room for exhaust back there without the tank in the way
- Cell more durable
- Often cheaper to get a cell than a new tank(correct me if im wrong)
p.s. Im sure if you're having someone build you a cell, you could have them baffle it to help kill the swishing

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Installed correctly, they're great. Better puncture and leak resistance in the event of something bad, you can have them placed as you see fit/have space, they can be internally surge tanked, prefitted with an fittings and all that other good stuff. To go with all the upsides...there are dilemmas in a street car: Off the shelf cells won't fit the stock location. This means the cell will have significanty lower capacity as they are typically squares that have to fit in the passenger side only, or they are tire well cells. Well cells require a firewall as we have hatches. No firewall, no track time. To fit the stock location (sort of) and keep capacity, you need to remove the spare tire well and weld up the floor. The fill neck is also pita, again off the shelf are almost always top fed, and will either have to be in the hatch, or have to be fabricated to have an external fill.

You could have a cell made that matched the stock tank shape...but a factory tank would likely be cheaper.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
quick question... is it possible for me to have about a 5 gallon cell filled with race gas all the time, then use my factory tank for pump gas... then be able to switch between the two on command? Is this feasable? am I dumb for wanting this?

Jon

b005t3d

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
bellevue,nashville, tn
i still dont see what the big deal is. almost every car thats built that you see has a cell in it. looks to me like is more of a showing of how much money you have rather than how much you need.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
I know for racing the biggest advantage it has is that it helps protect against puncturing...leaking gas and gas fumes...and prevent a big ol' ball of fire that would probably be you if you had a regular gas tank. And since most built cars have them...and race their cars, I think this is probably why they do it.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I'm planning on doing it, myself... so we'll see what problems I run into and how they can be solved. I will be using a summitracing powdercoated fuel cell.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Bit of a story here: In my old Datsun I built a 120 litre aluminium tank that had a divider so 20 litres was Methanol and 100 litres Gas.

When I had my accident a lower rear suspension arm sliced through it like butter and I'd just filled it 5 minutes earlier!

Lucky for me there was so much fuel it was too rich to ignite or I'd be a Crispy Critter!

A good fuel cell fitted correctly would have prevented this not to mention most are foam filled and stop slosh!

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
IJ. said:
Bit of a story here: In my old Datsun I built a 120 litre aluminium tank that had a divider so 20 litres was Methanol and 100 litres Gas.

When I had my accident a lower rear suspension arm sliced through it like butter and I'd just filled it 5 minutes earlier!

Lucky for me there was so much fuel it was too rich to ignite or I'd be a Crispy Critter!

A good fuel cell fitted correctly would have prevented this not to mention most are foam filled and stop slosh!

motto there dont run an empty tank gents

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
fuel cells also can be fitted with bladders. Guess what happens to the bladders in an accident. instead of rupturing the defroms and expand like a ballon preventing the fuel spill.

Keep in mind folks that the OEM fuel tanks where not baffled for drag launches or for taking 1+ G in a turn at Laguna Seca.