AFM question

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
I recently upgraded my turbo, intercooler, and fuel pump. I was getting the 550 injectors and lex AFM put in as well, but one of the injectors were bad. So right now I'm running on the stock injectors and stock MAF sensor. When I'm idling it runs rich. It's hard to start and when i'm cruising at about 7% throttle it chugs like it wants to die but rarely does. I asked my shop guy if the MAF sensor was bad but he told me it's just going crazy due to the bigger turbo. It works fine when I'm at a high throttle though. Can anybody shed any light on my situation? I'm still going to replace the injectors and AFM, but I don't know when that will be due to the seller having to ship them to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
It's an upgraded fuel pump (Warlboro). The chugging feels like fuel cut, but the turbo isn't even spooling when it happens. Like I said it's only at light throttle. The turbo is a T3/T4. Not sure of the compressor size, but the exhaust side is .48. It does throw a AFM code, but wasn't before the install. Is it because of the upgraded turbo?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No, AFMs don't break because of different turbos.

I'd suggest 2 things at this point. First, the AFM needs to be working properly, so replace that. Even if you just swap in a working one from a nearby buddy or something.

Second, the new fuel pump may be pushing more pressure than the original, causing you to run richer. Have you removed the J-tube? What are you using to set your fuel pressure?

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't have anything to regulate pressure. What would replacing the J tube do? I'm just going to limp around on my stocker until my injectors come in then i'm replacing it with the Lex. BTW, it does run rich at idle and perfect when I'm driving. However when the problem occurs (around 7% throttle) I notice that my turbo timer most of the time goes to 10.0 A/F and sometimes (rarely) goes to 18-20 A/F). I pretty much know that it's the AFM, but I was wondering why it might all of the sudden go bad.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
unless you have a wb02 sensor hooked to that 02 sensor the readings are next to useless.

you are throwing an AFM code, your afm is out of spec for the ECU. Please replace/repair this before asking any more questions. It could be reading fine up high but down low the air moving past it isnt correct.

AFMs go bad for a variety of reasons, oil on the sensor is the most common but a good drop, moisture in the black box, etc etc. Check if the connector is securely fastened as this sometimes happens.

For the fuel pressure being too high its hit or miss there. The stocker with intact J tube should be ok. Aeromotive is a very popular regulator in this crowd (i run it in my car even) So if you think its too high get one and remove the stock restriction.

good luck

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
MKIIINA said:
unless you have a wb02 sensor hooked to that 02 sensor the readings are next to useless.

you are throwing an AFM code, your afm is out of spec for the ECU. Please replace/repair this before asking any more questions. It could be reading fine up high but down low the air moving past it isnt correct.

AFMs go bad for a variety of reasons, oil on the sensor is the most common but a good drop, moisture in the black box, etc etc. Check if the connector is securely fastened as this sometimes happens.

For the fuel pressure being too high its hit or miss there. The stocker with intact J tube should be ok. Aeromotive is a very popular regulator in this crowd (i run it in my car even) So if you think its too high get one and remove the stock restriction.

good luck

So if oil gets into the afm there is no way to clean it out? Because I think I just found out why my car is running like sh*t. thanks