AFM... is this repairable with epoxy/JB Weld, or should I chunk it?

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
This looks like it's probably not that uncommon a failure given the design, but I thought I would ask those who have been dealing with them longer than I have. I'm relatively certain JB weld will work on it, and the electronics still seem to work like they're supposed to, but if it's one of those things that won't hold I'll start asking around for a replacement.

Attachments

• afm module.jpg
    afm module.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 61

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
If a car has a primary sensor, the AFM is it. I wouldn't fool with it. I'm sure you can get one from somewhere around here for a relatively cheap. Chuck it.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Well, it does work, but it then becomes a question of "Is it working properly?", and "It works now, but for how long?". So I suppose I'm going to be chunking it. If anyone has a good one they can part with, look for my WTB on that forum.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
IJ.;1555567 said:
Good time to buy a Lexus AFM and a set of 550's.

Yep, if I ever wanted to go that route this would be the perfect opportunity. Never really thought about that particular upgrade, but I suppose it's worth some consideration.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Anytime I have to replace parts I prefer to upgrade them if possible and the Lex/550 is so well documented it's a no brainer and it's not like the old days where injectors were expensive.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
Both the stock part and the Lex / 550 upgrades are constantly for sale here, ebay and CL. Just do yourself a favor and replace it with either a stock unit or the upgraded parts.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
Not that I'm trying to challenge you guys expertise I've learned alot from both of you (Supracentral and IJ) but if his electronics are still in spec on an ohmmeter and he doesn't sever any connections it seems as though a well placed dab of quick set epoxy would suffice. I mean the breaking psi on the epoxy bond of a well prepped surface should be more than enough to keep it in place right?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
stolensupra;1555591 said:
Not that I'm trying to challenge you guys expertise I've learned alot from both of you (Supracentral and IJ) but if his electronics are still in spec on an ohmmeter and he doesn't sever any connections it seems as though a well placed dab of quick set epoxy would suffice. I mean the breaking psi on the epoxy bond of a well prepped surface should be more than enough to keep it in place right?

My "concern" as always would be if it fails in the future during a power run, NOTHING kills a turbo engine faster than a lean out under power.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Get rid of it. Not worth the potential headache simply to save a few bucks now.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
IJ.;1555567 said:
Good time to buy a Lexus AFM and a set of 550's.

Koenigturbo;1555569 said:
Like Supra central said, These are for sale once a week,...Here.

SupraDreamPDR;1555588 said:
Both the stock part and the Lex / 550 upgrades are constantly for sale here, ebay and CL. Just do yourself a favor and replace it with either a stock unit or the upgraded parts.

shaeff;1555754 said:
Get rid of it. Not worth the potential headache simply to save a few bucks now.

You all forget how "cheap" the average / normal MKIII owner is :p They normally dont think of any concusses, just as long as their car starts for that moment in time.