AFM EXperiment and Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
Hi guys Iam intending to do an experiment with the 7mgte afm. The purpose of doing this is to find out the pros and cons of doing this. I know there is some risks that I am willing to take. I actually have 2 ideas of how can I accomplish this.
1- install the afm into the intecooler piping instead of the accordian hose
so i could use a bigger filter and turbo.I will start using my stock ct26 440 injectors.

2- remove electronics from afm and palce them into a 4 inch aluminum intake pipe ,so i could use it with the bigger turbo. In this particular case i will not be running the afm into the intercooler piping

this might take time to acomplish but i will keep you guys updated

thank you sincere regards
david ulloa:

Last edited:

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
My guess is inconvenient driveability due to intercooler pipes blowing off lol.
You could... physically do it but I should expect that the afm won't appreciate boosted air coming through the afm at that velocity vs being at the intake before the turbo.

Just do your IC pipes properly and it won't matter ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's simple...it won't work. For the above reason.

I seem to remember a hot wire MAF being used like this, but you need a MAF Translator.

What I can't fugure out is why you would want to do it.

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
nosechunks;1405006 said:
Probably to run an atmosphere dump BOV without stalling.
not really

jdub;1404968 said:
It's simple...it won't work. For the above reason.

I seem to remember a hot wire MAF being used like this, but you need a MAF Translator.

What I can't fugure out is why you would want to do it.

just watch this video and it will explain everything by it self
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcqzoG_cYOk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlFuCJCkI0E&feature=related

supradjza80;1404966 said:
paging Jdub!

but I think boosted air will mess up the vortices the AFM produces to measure air flow.

suprra_girl;1404961 said:
My guess is inconvenient driveability due to intercooler pipes blowing off lol.
You could... physically do it but I should expect that the afm won't appreciate boosted air coming through the afm at that velocity vs being at the intake before the turbo.

Just do your IC pipes properly and it won't matter ;)
ill be doing it correctly so it wont have any vacum or boos leaks

CajunKenny;1404871 said:
First question: Why?

Second question: Are you referring to just the electronics?
the hole afm not just electronics

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
I think that the OP is asking if anyone has though out of the box to see if this may be a possible solution, so that it dose not seems that there is a "set policy to do/or run upgrades”. The only thing I can say is try it and let us know how or if it works. If you do not have the funds to support what you F.U.B.A.R. I would not try it. I am interested if this would work though, as I have thought about a HX35 or a HX40 or going full blown with a 2JZ. I know some one here in Knoxville that was told by some guys here on SM that stuffing a 1UZ was 1. Stupid 2. Not possible. Well he did, and dam I must say its a healthy black MA70 with side pipes hehe!!!

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
i totally agree with you MA702Tone. Because after i was watching that video that actually made me wonder ,how come this mk4 is running that set up. It shows how the revs stay steady while at idle, and while boosting.I will try it regardless of what they say.I really thank you guys so much for takng the time to post.

Here is the start
stock ct26
440's
i will remove the 3000 pipe and install either a 2.75 or 3 inch intercooler piping so i could match the afm inlet and outlet

If this work i will go ahead and install the Garret 65 a/r

I willl post my results , if i happen to find this duable into a mk3 and the pros and cons of it. I have 2 turbo afm's so i got nothing to loose if one of them goes out.

THank you guys so much

sincere regards david ulloa

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
its called fuel cut and if you install a gt30 or gt35 on a stock afm you going to be hitting fuel cut all day long.

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Thinking with a open mind.. I would like to see it work!!! I hope it dose.. It would certainly be pretty cool, to see something work in a manor that it was not designed too. Yes please keep us updated on how this dose play out in the quest for defying the normal bla bla bla!!! Please if at all possible take footage of everything you do step-by-step so that it may be reviewed to see what kind of changes it made to the; 1. Idle, 2. Entire engine RPM range with no load, 3. Entire engine RPM range with load to engine, 4. Any destruction to the AFM / Engine. :dunno: Ohh and thanks for the thumbs down in regards to the person who rated this with a thumbs down. That kind of minds set keeps you stuck going no where.. pretty much following what monkey see, monkey do.. mentality.. Hope all has a great day, and a safe boosted weekend: burnout:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Problem is the stock AFM does not read pressure, Only Speed and Temperature. The Stock AFM will be able to give you essentially a CFM reading when the signals it provides are calculated.

A Mass Air Flow Sensor can be placed post turbo due to there ability to correct for density. A MAF sensor will output a direct Mass Flow signal (Grams/sec) no calculation required.

The difference is CFM only works when the only variables in the system to correct for is temperature.

The reason there is a problem with this is boost needs to be accounted for. 100CFM at atmospheric pressure is much different then 100CFM at 10PSI.

Running the stock AFM Post turbo will net that type of result meaning it will read X CFM any time theres X air speed and X temperature doesnt matter if its 5PSI or 20PSI

Running a MAF will give you a corrected reading in Grams/Sec. Grams/sec is the type of signal the TCCS calculates from the AFM, RPM and probably some type of VE table programed into it. Grams/sec is a proper flow signal necessary to any EMS to know fuel requirements, Especially in boosted applications.

If you want to do it, go for it, it might work for you and seems to be what you want to do regardless of what people on here say.

BTW that video doesn't explain any reasoning behind this, only something that someone did just because. If you want to do it "right" just get a reducer and keep the AFM pre turbo as it was designed.

Its not going to kill power any more then fuel cut will at roughly 7 psi, Maybe lower depending on how big of turbo and intercooler.

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
IJ.;1405722 said:
The Stupid is strong with this thread.... :nono:

The re nothing wrong to try it just because a monkley said dont eat bananas.How do you know if this is gonna work if you havent tried yet.
I know there is technical info regarding this matter that says do not even try. Some scientist find things by doing stupid shiet sometimes, so to me this is an experiment wich i am wiilling to take the risk for. .Like i said i really thank you guys for posting

Status
Not open for further replies.