AFM dead = MAFT install need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

supratkfy

Mar 30, 2005
San Francisco
i know its not hard....wiring seems pretty simple and i have the instructions so yea...only thing i'm worried about is the intial setup, my afm died out and i don't wanna spend money on getting a new one if i have the MAFT in hand. if i have a stock car with just hardpipes, FMIC, full 3 inch exhaust, boost controller...i daily drive it so basically a simple bolt on mods. i just want it to run just like stock. i don't need any fuel tuning at WOT yet, i just need to be able to tune it and drive it out of the shop and dirve it around untill ihave time to get to a dyno. would i set all my dials to zero...with correct injector size? would i have achance of running too lean? and would i just run my wires to the ECU?any help would be great thanks

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
1) dont forget you need a gm maf to run the maft setup
2) to run it just like stock...choose the 440injector settings on the base map...leave the rest at 0 and you are done

supratkfy

Mar 30, 2005
San Francisco
yeap i have everything needeto run the MAFT. i just need to know how would i sset itup so it runs like stock so it can move out and wait like maybe a motn so i have time to take it to dyno. so i would just set all settings to zero. and for stock injectors 440, would th e base be set at 2, aux at zero and with 3 inch GM MAF mode 1, 2 off , mode 3 on and mode 4 just off correct?if the wires are too short can i add wire to it to extend to my ECU?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
yup you can add wires to extend to ecu. I did, not a problem. Also you dont have to have 3 on...its just a matter of preference...personally mine is off

supratkfy

Mar 30, 2005
San Francisco
thanks...so all setttings would be at zero...is that theproper selection for stock when everything off and base at two? aux at zero too? to elimnate fuel cut aux is going to be at c?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
fuel cut may still be there even with aux...just make sure you dont mess with that one till your on the dyno so you dont blow the engine up

supratkfy

Mar 30, 2005
San Francisco
ok i wired up the problem is still there ....shit heres the story

ok..yesterday while i was driving on the highway...about to pass someone...when i hit the gas...car stutters and has no power...CEL comes on and goes off but as i try to gas it again..no power....so i had to carefully limp to the median. got out and checked under the hood....felt like a boost leak or something. but all the pipes from up top were fine. car would start but once i hit the throttle car doesn't rev up but just dies....but by chance i was able to get it up to high revs...and it was spewing out black smoke...unburnt fuel smell from exhaust....i had to tow it back to my shop. looked at it and car seemed to be running very rough....my mechanics looked at it and said AFM...NO CEL codes..i was like ok....

i bought a MAFT, GM 3"sensor, all necessary wiring, and also a SAFC about year ago and never installed it...since a new AFM was about $200 i was just like lets install it since my shit is broken...so i go back and do all the wiring like stated in the manual for the SAFC, and MAFt......i hooked up the sensor in the accoridan pipe, and filter there...and got to my ECU. my friend also bought me a ECU harness soit plugs in so instead of cutting into the stock harness i was able to splice into that harness....so i finish it and put all the IC pipe back on...and start it up. car starts BUT still idles kinda rough. and same thing...idle but hit the throttle dies out...and i was able to keep the rev high right after starting by keeping feeet on gas....still spewing out black smoke. my MAFT settings were all at zero, base was at 2...all others were zero. the mode settings were all off since have the 3" MAF. the red and green LED were working fine....i just wanted the car to run like stock so yea...i messed with the idle knob a little and it idle a but better but still won't like to rev up...so i'm not sure what is up...everything works fine. the AFC turns on, and MAFT is on.? its doing the exact thing as before putting in the MAFT. since i work at a shop i get a discount price for a new AFM for $200 so i just ordered it and will be putting in a new one tm...but i have a feeling its not....any ideas? could it be ISCV, TPS? or wat? it really seems like a boost leak but i see no leaks....? help

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
mine did that once too.....my ground for the maft was falling out....check your ground and get back to me

supratkfy

Mar 30, 2005
San Francisco
THANKS GUYS.....after putting in a new AFM it was still like that...so i went ahead and redid all my IC pipes....and THAT WAS THE PROBLEM...the lower IC Piping which is hardpipes for me. the clamp on turbo was loose and guess it was flexing a little so it blew off when i rev it...but it looked like it was on...another one near the IC was also very loose...i connected it all back and it was all good....

BUT as far as the MAFT i got it to go and idle...but i did'nt have time to fuck with the settings. so i just kept the stock AFM in place so i'll use that for now sinc ei need to drive the car and stuff. but i have the SAFC and MAFT hooked up. the MAFT settings are at mode all off...for the 3 inch GM MAF. base is at 2 for 440 and the rest are at zero including aux. when i leave it at those settings the idle is very rough....at like 500 but rough. if i i turn the idle setting to about 3 or 4 idle goes up to 700 and idles better....so i riched the mixture..but so would i be ok to just leave it there for now and drive till i go to the dyno? and as far as the SAFC goes..i have no idea how to mess with it...i made sure all the %change was at zero since i just want to run it just like stock for now..

Status
Not open for further replies.