afc neo on a vpc

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
hey, i already have a neo wired into my car but i just recently got a vpc. should i remove the neo and rewire it into vpc harness or could i just plug in vpc and leave the neo alone? also, the previous owner of the vpc had a afc wired into it but it looks to me like it was wired wrong- spliced wires dont match up to the wire pin diagram for the afc (well half of them dont match up anyway). so is there a difference in how u wire up neo into the vpc harness compared to the car harness? thanks for the help

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
You want the AFC after the VPC.

If the wiring if obviously wrong, you should fix it anyway. Personally I wouldn't use any wiring someone else has previously done, 99% of the time it's hacked.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
so i should take the neo out, patch up the wiring, and rewire it into the vpc harness. the vpc pin layout has got to be the same as the pi layout in the afc install book right??

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Assuming the AFC is wired correctly. I also installed my VPC after I already had my SAFC. What I did was tap into the AFC wires close to the ECU harness. You only need to tap into Power+, Neg, and Rpm (I believe). Then your AFM signal wires should already have a connector(when the afc was installed, you had to cut that wire) I added the same type of connector to the VPC signal wire (Brown wire(double check manual)) So with that said. VPC signal OUT goes to S-AFC IN, S-AFC OUT goes to ECU IN. I'm talking about the output signal (converted AIT/Map signal)that the vpc outputs. Hope it didn't sound complicated. If you installed the AFC Neo yourself, it should be pretty easy.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
ur sayin u ran the afm signal wire in a big loop using those bullit connectors. and the other afc wires u re-tapped into vpc harness? is that reliable and accurate to run the afm loop that way? u had no issues?

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
supra_ed said:
ur sayin u ran the afm signal wire in a big loop using those bullit connectors. and the other afc wires u re-tapped into vpc harness? is that reliable and accurate to run the afm loop that way? u had no issues?

What you normaly do with the S-AFC is cut the AFM signal wire, then the wire from the AFM(from firewall) goes to the SAFC IN wire, and the SAFC AFM OUT goes to the ECU. Now that the VPC creates that AFM signal on its own with the Air temp sensor and MAP sensor, there will be no AFM wire (from firewall) going to the SAFC anymore, therefore that AFM wire from firewall is not used anymore. Now the VPC then has an "AFM" output signal that it translate from the AIT and MAP that replaces the AFM wire (from firewall). That wire (brown wire) then goes to the SAFC AFM IN wire (previously connected to AFM wire from firewall no longer used) and the SAFC wire to car ECU stays the same.

ps. AFM wire from firewall means from engine bay in my explaination.

Hope that helps.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
ok. i get how u just connected the vpc afmin/out wires to the existing cut afm wires (form the afc install), but wat about the rpm, throttle, power, and ground wires? did u leave those wires spliced into the car harness or did u undo and resplice into vpc harness? thanks for all the help man, i appreciate it.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
supra_ed said:
but wat about the rpm, throttle, power, and ground wires? did u leave those wires spliced into the car harness or did u undo and resplice into vpc harness? thanks for all the help man, i appreciate it.

These, I just tapped carefully into the S-AFC corresponding wires. I was'nt confortable about doing it at first, but I got reassured from a couple of wiring expert that it was fine. By doing it this way, I did'nt have to hack the main engine harness even more.