Aeroquip Socketless Line or Aeroquip SS Braided Line for Fuel system

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Just wondering if they are both made out of the same material? Also what tools would I need to assemble the regular Aeroquip SS Braided line, I know the socketless line is easy to work with. Pretty much what are the upsides and downsides of both?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
the socketless will work but be aware that it is not as sturdy as the SS braided AQP hose. Reason is that the SS brainding serves to protect the hose from damage also. hence if it will run under the car. Run SS line and not the socketless line.

Socketless

Pro's
Price for both hose and fittings
easy of build

Con
No protection against road debris
Lower pressure rating
a bit lighter (not as light as Startlite)

AQP (Statinless steel braided hose)

Pro
SS braiding can take a few road debris hits.
High pressure rating

Cons
Pain to build
Higher cost than Socketless. Still cheaper than Starlite
Weight is almost like tubing of the same material.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
SS braid lines arent that hard to put together, just watch your fingers!

its all about how you cut the line the first time. the cleaner the cut, the easier it will be to assemble the fitting to the line.

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
lagged said:
SS braid lines arent that hard to put together, just watch your fingers!

its all about how you cut the line the first time. the cleaner the cut, the easier it will be to assemble the fitting to the line.

So is a cutoff wheel the preferred method, or something like a bolt cutter?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i wrap the part iwant to cut tightely in a thick layer of electrical tape, then cut it with a hack saw, only case my dremel is broken.

but yeah use a thick layer of elec tape and cut with watever does the job. the tape helps to keep the ends from fraying.

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Well this is my list of what I think I will need to assemble lines for an Aeromotive AFPR and assemble a line to get rid of the FPD. Anything I am missing?

1- 14mmx1.5 to 6 an fitting for FPD on fuel rail

2- 12x1.25 to 6 an fittings(One for the fuel rail and one for the fuel junction on the motor mount.

2- 90 degree Aeroquip Hose ends

2- Straight Hose ends

1- 15 ft Aeroquip AQP SS Braided Hose

1- 6 AN O-ring Plug to block off the second inlet port on the Aeromotive FPR

2- Straight -6an to -6an O-ring port adapters for the fittings on the Aeromotive FPR

1- 6 AN to 3/8 inch barb to connect to the fuel return line

Another question...for the fittings on the fuel rail can I just use the stock copper crush washers?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
summit has it : EAR-991945ERL

the stock washers wont fit if i remember correctly. the earls fitting i linked to comes with a washer.

for the other one you can go to napa and get an o-ring or wrap some teflon tape, not around the threads but around the base of where the fitting meets with the fuel rail to seal it up.

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
lagged said:
summit has it : EAR-991945ERL

the stock washers wont fit if i remember correctly. the earls fitting i linked to comes with a washer.

for the other one you can go to napa and get an o-ring or wrap some teflon tape, not around the threads but around the base of where the fitting meets with the fuel rail to seal it up.

That's weird I looked yesterday and it said it wasn't available, maybe I was looking at the wrong fititng. The fitting does come with a washer. Why wouldn't the stock orings fit? You aren't changing the size of the fitting screwing into the rail.