AEM vs MoTeC

Amtrack

Apr 5, 2006
Germany
I can only tell you about the AEM, haven`t had or seen the MOTEC (I don`t count the MOTEC on the race-sim GTR :D).

AEM is nice to tune, pretty easy to understand and offers a wide variety of options.

But there are some really bad parts:

- There are many AEMs which are not reliable because of mechanical problems (loosening scews which will fall onto your mainbord causing a short[?] in the electrical system)
- The overall quality is not the best, especially for the money you have to spend
- You will loose your complete existing data, so you have to start from the REAL beginning. I.e. the startup lasted at least 5 hours till the car was idling(!), nothing else, just idling. But that`s not a AEM only problem. You could describe it as a feature (standalone management...).

It depends all on your favour, I´m sure the MOTEC will have some problems too (there is no perfect system).

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
MDCmotorsports;932052 said:
The AEM is more user friendly than the MOTEC.
MDCmotorsports;932052 said:
If you want something that will do every thing but wipe your ass, go with the MOTEC.

The only advantage to the AEM is ease of use. There isn't IMHO a flexiblity to do things like direct fire tuning as can be done with other units, and also it is made for specific plug, and play to supra wire harness's only. So you can only sell it to a supra owner who most likey wants it on the cheap if you decided to sell for an upgrade. As chevy says AEM willl do all that you want and save the money from a Motec. Others like Figgie, and Duane will say buy only the best.

Last edited:

Buddafucco

Beef Supreme
Mar 3, 2007
Tampa Bay
Make a features list for both. :evildeal: Circle the features on both lists that you would really actually USE. Choose from there. AEM is not that far behind Motec in quality that you can rule it out as junk.
Wheelspeed based traction control, gear based boost control, # of inputs & outputs, user defineability, anti-BHG, etc... They are all great features to have if your going all out but if your not going to use them, then it's not worth the extra $$$. Unless you've done all you can do to your car and have nothing left to throw money at.:icon_wink
You definatly get "badass" points for going Motec.:love:

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
That is good to know. The reason why I asked this question is because it seems as if those guys who are making very good hp numbers all have motec. Now don't get me wrong all of my honda friends use the aem. I have also seen a couple of them take a shit.

Buddafucco

Beef Supreme
Mar 3, 2007
Tampa Bay
How many AEM's can you buy for the price of the Motec? Ahh shit! Now I'm sounding like a penny pinching mk3 owner.
Most of the guys running Motec in their mk4 are always trying to set the next record.

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
Buddafucco;932226 said:
AEM is not that far behind Motec in quality that you can rule it out as junk.
Yes it is that far behind. Motec and AEM shouldnt be used in the same sentence. Reliability is a pretty useful feature to me and thats something the AEM does not have. There is a reason why Motec is used by race teams world wide and the AEM is not.

Buddafucco

Beef Supreme
Mar 3, 2007
Tampa Bay
Your going to have to find out and let the rest of us know. Anything is doable.
There are a lot of guys F'n flying with AEM's.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sounds like you're trying to justify buying the AEM.......

And have already made your mind up based on cost.

If you can afford the MoTeC get it's it's superior if not get the AEM.

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
I've been waiting for you IJ. By all means if I can afford the motec I will buy. The only problem that I am finding out here in NC is a good tuner for both Motec and the aem.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There are "good" MoTeC tuners everywhere Driz just need to track one down that's local with a good rep.

Having said that and while the learning curve for the MoTeC is steep I wouldn't hesitate to tune a Petrol/Gas motor with a MoTeC after the time I've spent making my car run.

I know I can get a brilliant result due to how flexible the software is and there's not a single compromise to make.

Never used/tuned and AEM so can't offer an opinion but I'd talk to someone like Chevyeater/Brian and place a lot of stock in whatever he tells you.

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
How much does the motec cost? There is no such thing as cost when you are going for a big build. IF i decided to build a dyno queen I would like for everything to be up to par?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
My car runs better than ever with the MoTeC! :)

The prices are on the website as Ron mentioned and they will vary depending on what options you have. Maybe John Reed can chime in here too? John????

Duane

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
Well not sure there will ever be a cut and dry answer to this debate, as a lot of it depends on personal preference/budget.

Either system (tuned properly) will make the same power, and your car will run fairly equally well on them both. I have tuned literally hundreds of them, with good results from both systems. If money is tight, then it is my opinion that the AEM is one of the better and most powerful systems in its price range. There have been some hardware quality issues, which has been the primary downside (though not as bad as the internet would have you believe).

My opinion of the Motec is simple. It is the best system I have used, period. The hardware quality is second to none, as is the software power/flexibility. The Motec, when properly tuned, delivers excellent running (and some of the best throttle response and other transients I have tuned). The datalogging is also top shelf. The only real downside is price. The other downside is the fact that due to the Motec's immense flexibility, it is easy to want to expand your basic system to take advantage of what it can do. Next thing you know your car will be outfitted like Ron's! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Fuzz420;932894 said:
My hat goes off to guys that can afford this unit :)

You just took the words out of my mouth...gatdern..I know who to ask for 5 dollars now. :naughty:

m1supra

Am I home yet
Jul 16, 2007
Sadr `Arafat, Wasit, Iraq, Iraq
What about as far as wiring goes??? I have seen that the aem unit is pretty much plug and play. With the Motec unit do you have to make your own wiring harness or just modify your currnet one???? Thanks guys