Aem v2 tuning

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
I just got my aem v2 pnp from aaron. I got it installed, idling good and running decent. But I'm having trouble with starting. And I'd like to get it running perfect. I work out of town and I'm to busy to get it to a shop but John reed offers remote tuning. I was wondering if any of you guys have ever had your car tuned this way. Any thoughts as to whether it's a good idea are also welcome. Thank you.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
The base map was off because it was set up for 440 injectors. I used the wizard to change it to the rc 550s that I have. I have tried a range of 650-1300rpms for idle. Right now it's idling perfect at 850 rpms. I have to crank it for probably 20 seconds to get it to start.

hmm i didnt have that problem it cranked for like 10secs the first time let it get a feel for the new computer after that it started right away... any performance shop should be able to tune aem!!but good luck im sellin my aem right now goin 2jz

ClutchRR

Apr 12, 2012
Slidell, LA
Hey I just got my AEM V2 in today from drift motion. Which calibration map did you go with to get the car started. I have a 7mgte and the only maps I see are the mk4 maps and lexus sc300. Thank you

ClutchRR

Apr 12, 2012
Slidell, LA
Thanks for your help I got in contact with Aaron from driftmotion by the way he was extremely helpful. We got it all figured out. My 7mgte is in the shop now getting it installed. How are you enjoying your unit so far?

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Oops. Wrong unit? I have been going thro all my wiring, connectors, electrical components because I've had a hard time getting the tune where I want it. It does some pretty strange/random stuff leading me to believe that I have a poor connection(s) somewhere. So I really am not enjoying it at all. I currently have less power and worse mpg than I did with the stock box.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
the stock/driftmotion map is going to be a very basic, very safe (read: rich, no timing). you need to have it tuned to your setup. either learn to tune it yourself or take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

one pointer for you, I had a loose/intermittent connection to my coolant temperature sensor. every time it lost connection, the AEM would crap out and dump fuel in. if it is wiring and not the tune, it can be a major pain in the ass to find.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Thanks for the input. I'm a little beyond that but thanks. I replaced the coolant temp sensor as it was broken and I think John Reed knows what he's doing. As I've already had 2 reputable tuners try to tune it, I'm pretty sure it's something other than the tune (as previously stated). And you're right, tracking down wiring issues blows. Especially when you're only home one day a week.

ClutchRR

Apr 12, 2012
Slidell, LA
Ok just got word back from my tuner from (TDC) Top Dead Center and the unit is doing great on my car. They are actually very excited because this is the first V2 they installed on a 7MGTE. So for the record guys Aaron's AEM v2 for the 7MGTE is a go, it works great! If you are having a problem with spark you should look towards your cam sensor. Sometimes the cam sensors will read fine for your stock ecu but the AEM unit wont read it properly.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
This was a big issue with the V1 also. Good idea to take the cap off and tighten up the trigger wheel gaps if you are having issues.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Thank you. Hoping to get it figured out this weekend. I've tried a friends cps that was first pulled apart, inspected and cleaned up. I plan to post how it all goes. Thanks again for all the support my supra brethren.