aem v2 hesitation issue

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
I have a built 7mgte with forged internals. I am having issue with mid load tuning. For somereason I cant seem to get it to accel smooth. seems like its mis firing or something. I got it to idle and start pretty decent. I got the frequency for the pistons set. Heres what I have. Knock Frequency set at 7.63khz, knock gain is .381, knock integrator is 360. The timing map is what I believe to be fairly conservative and im not really getting in outrageous knock values. It pulled fine with the stock issue just prior to installing this. Anyone with experience for timing that can help me out. Or anyone that has a basic tune for the aem to get me started. I have 550's. I am just having trouble getting that hesitation out and I cant understand why?

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
nobody has any ideas on this. All the maos people have loaded on here are v1 maps that I cant see. or someone that knows what kind of numbers I should see from the knock sensors to see if ones fubared

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have you made sure everything else is setup properly?

And is the problem still there if you turn knock tuning off?.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
yes even with knock control off its still there. I checked plugs and wires they seem good. Im trying to get it tuned for the first time so I set up all the sensors that needed to be. The worked good prior to ecu installation. I even tried shortening the sparkplug gap and problem is still there.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Theres more to setting it up than picking what sensors your using. It needs to be setup properly before anything else.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
I did. I actually watched all those videos. Im not trying to go high boost right now just driveability tuning. All the stuff he goes over in that video has been done. It can move and drive as long as its under 50% throttle. I haven't gotten more the 2psi of boost before I back off cause its not running right. at crusing ive gotten it to run great. Like I said I watched all 14 of those videos, followed along with them. Ive been through a high performance class that goes over this stuff but im sure im missing something. I spent 3 days just on idle and startup and getting light throttle loads done. That's why I was hoping someone had a timing map or had more exspeiance with setting the knock settings. to see whats going on. Ive checked plugs they just show a rich condition witch I know. I have it a little rich for now to keep it safe, wires have no sign of wear. All this stuff worked fine with the stock ecu. Did nothing but add the right sensors to switch to map and then tuned start and idle and now I got this issue,

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
hvyman;2007343 said:
Then check your cps. Aem is real finicky with the 7m cps and everything else.
Can't stress enough how important it is to make sure all your grounds are clean and tight.
I had issues with voltage to the box also. The stock 'puter didn't mind at all but the AEM hated it. Make sure all connections, grounds and otherwise, are good. Check the coil pack harness. Check...everything.
And try to keep your maps smooth. I can send you a map that you can at least use for comparison, but I don't have my Supra laptop right now. I'll try to send you one on Monday.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
supranaewbie. Thanks that would be great. In the meantime I will check all those grounds again. I have a nother cps I can put on to just to check and see if that changes anything. I know that little wire going from the coil pack harness to the head is good ive checked that on before but ill check it again.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
OP you should update this thread with the fix if you've figured out the problem.
So many problem threads with no solutions posted.
Hopefully you got the issue figured out. :)

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
so far its not completely fixed but it is getting better the more I mess with the tune. im getting it worked out. Now my issue is that at idle it need way more fuel then it does for part throttle driving and it make the fueal graph look a little funny. My next step is to look at the cps to see if it can be worked out more.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
oh and does anyone know what kinda of knock value I should see with a forged bottom end. I know the value are gonna be higher because forged pistons produce more noise. But im trying to get a general idea of how far off I am.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
hvyman ive tried moving timing around to get the best idle. The best idle seem to be about 11-12 degrees timing at idle but again uses way to much fuel just to idle at 15-15.5