AEM True Boost Help

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
Does anyone know how to set and achieve 15 psi without spiking using this controller? i'm having hells tryna dial in boost on this with a Turbonetics 60-1 Bolt on Turbo on my 60-1 from albert i had no issue spring pressure was set at 12.5 and duty cycle was 68 to 70% now these same settings on this turbo i spike and hit fuel cut with lower duty cycles the turbo spools up slow.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I think you will always have problems with the larger turbo with the aem true boost. They don't do progressive boost, they only set to one pressure and once its close to being achieved it will start to open the wastegate. I had issues with this like no other on my MBC, then i bought a decent ebc and it worked very well to limit boost before spiking.

Turn the boost controller down to 13 or so and it probably will still spike then in the higher rpm's the engine will flow enough of that air pressure into the rpm's itll feel like its falling flat on its face.
for me its hard to explain what is happening, but thats exactly how my 57 trim was with a junk boost controller, and no offense, but to me the AEM tru boost is not very good. its basically like a mbc that you can control from inside the car.

A larger (ported) wastegate opening could help some, or lex afm and 550cc injectors (which i imagine you already have if you are trying to bump up to 15psi)

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
emericaskater285;1993159 said:
I think you will always have problems with the larger turbo with the aem true boost. They don't do progressive boost, they only set to one pressure and once its close to being achieved it will start to open the wastegate. I had issues with this like no other on my MBC, then i bought a decent ebc and it worked very well to limit boost before spiking.

Turn the boost controller down to 13 or so and it probably will still spike then in the higher rpm's the engine will flow enough of that air pressure into the rpm's itll feel like its falling flat on its face.
for me its hard to explain what is happening, but thats exactly how my 57 trim was with a junk boost controller, and no offense, but to me the AEM tru boost is not very good. its basically like a mbc that you can control from inside the car.

A larger (ported) wastegate opening could help some, or lex afm and 550cc injectors (which i imagine you already have if you are trying to bump up to 15psi)

Understood what boost controller do you suggest? What are you running right now? and i'm running a Turbometics 60-1 Hi Fi Bolt on turbo with supporting mods Lex AFM etc....

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Greedy profec b spec 2 has a setting to allow boost to rise slowly. The SET PSI and GAIN control where the solenoid starts to open and how fast it opens. I like the greedy because with the boost controller turned all the way down, all the settings on 0, it spools the turbo as if it's only on the wastegate without the boost controller even hooked up. Click that high button though.. Let the fun begin.

http://www.greddy.com/upload/file/PRofec_Bspec2.pdf page 17 will show you how it's set up.

FWIW, I'm running mine at like 65% SET, 15% GAIN, 35% START BOOST and the WARNING set to flash red at 18 PSI.

Also, on a side note. It'll keep all your settings, mine was in a box for close to a month and still had the PO's settings.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I ran the Truboost for about 3 years with no issues, fianally went to megasquirt for closedloop boost. I didnt have spike troubles at all with the three setups Ive ran with it. What kind of wastegate you running and what springs inside?

There are 4 videos on Youtube from AEM that go through all the settings. One setting is the spring pressure of the gate itself, that helps dial it in.