AEM timing issues

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I am having some issues with my timing on my aem ems. Ive noticed that my timing map looks more advanced than others and I am trying to understand why. I double checked today and pulled my plugs to make sure I am not detonating. Everything looks ok.

The major problem is that I will sync the timing with the aem and it will read fine at 10-19 degrees. But when I have someone idle up the car to hit higher timing marks the timing will be way off. It was reading 38 degrees at 2k rpm when it was suppose to be around 28. Any ideas? Am I checking the timing wrong perhaps? Car seems to run ok and pulls good. I am just worried that my timing maps are not actually calling the correct timing.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
What engine is this AEM running? if it's coil on plug you must use a plug wire to No. 1 coil and use an inductive timing light with out that dial for advance. So the more simple the light is the better. What harmonic damper are you using?

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
soapra;1715319 said:
What engine is this AEM running? if it's coil on plug you must use a plug wire to No. 1 coil and use an inductive timing light with out that dial for advance. So the more simple the light is the better. What harmonic damper are you using?
Alright that might be the problem. The timing light that I used was a complicated one, pretty expensive light. It had choices for 2 cycle/ 4 cycle and digital advance. I will double check with a simple timing light to make sure its correct. Also im running a 7m with the stock damper.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is this a series 1 or 2 ecu. And ya depending upon which coil setup you are using you are also going to have to set the dwell for the particular coil correctly to prevent burning out the coil and for proper operation.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
If you are using my ignition mod, make sure you use a simple light, or set the fancy light to basic settings. With waste spark operation, the light will show twice the amount of advance that there actually is, if you use the digital advance to line up the timing mark to zero.

The dwell etc. should all be good, if you did it per my instructions.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Enraged;1716161 said:
ill 2nd the comment about a simple light. it makes it alot easier to match the timing on the AEM.

Funkycheeze;1716260 said:
If you are using my ignition mod, make sure you use a simple light, or set the fancy light to basic settings. With waste spark operation, the light will show twice the amount of advance that there actually is, if you use the digital advance to line up the timing mark to zero.

The dwell etc. should all be good, if you did it per my instructions.

Thanks, I am using your mod btw. So everything should be set up correctly through the aem. Its funny I can set my timing light to 2 cycle and it seems to work properly actually. Im just going to keep the timing light advance on zero and match it to the damper like a simple light. I will probably check with another timing light aswell.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
It works on 2 cycle, as a 2 cycle motor has an ignition event every 360 degrees (or so) crank revolution. A 4 stroke is every 720, but with wasted spark, the coils fire at the top of the exhaust stroke, so every 360, just like a 2 stroke.