AEM standalone mounting

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Searched, but couldn't find what I needed. Where/how did you mount the ECU? Pics? Thanks!

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Mine fitted in the stock location, with the glove box upper plastic trim in place. Glove box closes fine. This is only possible however by trimming to serial port connector to make it slimmer or by using a thinner one than the one that comes with the AEM. I re-did mines with Radioshack part. Once you do that, the AEM box can be tucked-in in the position that will allow the above.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
turbogate;1249852 said:
Mine fitted in the stock location, with the glove box upper plastic trim in place. Glove box closes fine. This is only possible however by trimming to serial port connector to make it slimmer or by using a thinner one than the one that comes with the AEM. I re-did mines with Radioshack part. Once you do that, the AEM box can be tucked-in in the position that will allow the above.

might hafta give that a try. pics? :icon_bigg

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
empera;1249701 said:
i cut a hole in the glove box and mounted it in there...

It's above the glove box, where the stock ECU use to be....or it's in the glovebox?

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
My MoTeC ECU used to be mounted in the stock location. But I added other boxes so now they all had to be mounted as shown in the picture. This needed modification to the glove box :)

4633690173_large.jpg

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I tried mounting my AEM box in the stock location but it's too big. Mine fits up there, but the glovebox won't fit now. Maybe I'm not trying hard enouogh..

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
I'll try to snap some pics this weekend, It's just that I hate removing that glove box. It's not too big guys, at least on my 90. Without the serial cable attached, it fits pretty easily in the stock location area with extra space to even move it around. Once you address the serial cable connector issue, you'll be all set.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
I have successfully mounted several AEM EMS's in the stock location by using the supplied velcro pad and two long double sided velcro straps. Placing the velcro pad between the crash bar and the EMS helps hold the EMS in place as you arrange the straps and provides some cushion. Run the straps up and over the crash bar, stick the EMS to the bar, then strap it in tight.

You will have to buy or make a low profile DB9 connector (the serial cable) and unbolt all of the old brackets from the crash bar and such, not just the ones on the ecu itself.

If all goes well you should be able to open and close the glovebox and if you're lucky the liner might even fit.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
I have mine just chilling behind the glovebox. Haven't assembled the glove box yet so Im 100% on what I will do for mounting I will have it done within the next couple of weeks and will post pictures then.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
not sure if the aem is the same size as the stinger, but with an aftermarket radio I cut the pocket out that goes below the radio and put my stinger under the radio. guess i'm just different.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
gravesdu_99;1257311 said:
not sure if the aem is the same size as the stinger, but with an aftermarket radio I cut the pocket out that goes below the radio and put my stinger under the radio. guess i'm just different.

The AEM EMS plugs in to the factory harness and fits in the stock location, there would be no reason to hack the harness to move it near the radio.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
bfr1992t;1257386 said:
The AEM EMS plugs in to the factory harness and fits in the stock location, there would be no reason to hack the harness to move it near the radio.

Thats a good reason. With the stinger driftmotion makes a plug and play harness that is about 2'. Thats why I had the extra room to move it.