AEM question

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
the FP up vsv, other vsv on the intake, and csi. the aem has csi or cold start fuel additive table. you can plug the csi switch on the Tstat housing. you can delete the maf wiring as you need to use a map sensor. you can delete the oem o2 sensor wiring.

you will wire in map, iat, and can rewire the knock sensors. while your adding these you may as well wire in sequential injection on inj 4,5,6 easy enough. just cut the ground wire for each injector and wire the injetor clip ground wire to appropriate pin on aem ecu. Then make changes in map for sequential. the car runs much smoother then.
Dont forget to wire in the wideband.
you can PM me for specifics.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Mmm! Sequential injection does give mighty fine idle quality... Even with big injectors!

I also suggest running a DH61 ignitor to get rid of the issues that the stock multiplex igniter causes. You can get them from VVTI 2JZ-GE engines (98 supra N/A, IS300, and GS300 all with VVTI). Might also pick up the coils and wires from the same car for a complete ignition system upgrade, too. That's what I'm running and I'm loving it!

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Hal, I'm starting to wire up my AEM and was wondering if I could clarify what can be removed. The two VSV's - those are the two below the intake, correct? I have a wideband installed, so I can remove the stock 02 and plug or cap it, correct? You mention rewiring the knock sensors - is this for good measure or does the AEM need different wiring than stock (I bought new knock sensor wiring and plugs last year)? Thanks.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i put a plug made out of an old o2 sensor in the oem o2 plug. i also made one for the csi and put a bolt in the csi T stat hole. the two vsv's under the intake are removed and i also removed the PS vacuum line. so without the two vsv's, the PS vacuum line which has that metal pipe arond the front removed, and the EGR crap removed and plugged then all that vacuum line and metal line can be removed. i do have a vacuum on the back for the cruise control, of corse the break booster, and a source directly to the AFPR with no T's on the vacuum line. I also have a vacuum line over to the BOV. You would need to cap the nipple on the bottom of the stock accordian if you remove the PS idle up. THe aem idle learned value can take care of the PS idle up.

if you rewired the KS with shielded wire and grounded one end of the shielded wire then they will work in the oem pin location. some people use the vsv wires and repin the wires to a sequential fuel pin on the aem and the other end to the appropriate injector ground wire. I just wired in 3 wires, one to each injector for sequential.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Hal, in preparation for wiring my AEM I created a diagram to make it easier for myself (I'm removing multiplex and going with sequential injection per your recommendations). One thing I noticed is that there are a number of functions that the AEM isn't set up for by default. For example, the oil pressure sender. If I'm using a third party oil pressure gauge, then I assume that I can remove the stock sender (and plug the hole), correct?

It also looks like it's set up for PnP for both VSV's that I'm removing. I assume that removing the VSV's but leaving them activated in the AEM software may cause a problem? If so, then I should deactivate those pins in the AEM software?

Attachments

• AEM CPU pinouts.png
    AEM CPU pinouts.png
    311.4 KB · Views: 84

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
excellent work my young apprentice. your hookup appear correct for 89+ years. i did not turn off any vsv controls even tho they are all bypassed.

i save that for personal use. be sure to turn off inj 4,5,6 and turn on inj 7,8,9 etc as per the seq setup. also be sure to copy over any fuel trims set up in your map for cyl 4,5,6 to cyl 7,8,9 as you moved them. any fuel trim for cyl 6 is now needed in cyl 9. altho on my spark plugs it appears with the oem intake my cylinders 3 and 4 get more air and appear lean. so i added a little fuel in cul 3,4 (cyl 4 is inj 7) and slight fuel in inj9 (is cyl 6 but inj 9 is on for cyl 6 with this sequential setup).

when you wire all this up remember to run the wires in away it can all be removed with the oem wiring harness.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
Halsupramk3;1613307 said:
excellent work my young apprentice. your hookup appear correct for 89+ years. i did not turn off any vsv controls even tho they are all bypassed.

i save that for personal use. be sure to turn off inj 4,5,6 and turn on inj 7,8,9 etc as per the seq setup. also be sure to copy over any fuel trims set up in your map for cyl 4,5,6 to cyl 7,8,9 as you moved them. any fuel trim for cyl 6 is now needed in cyl 9. altho on my spark plugs it appears with the oem intake my cylinders 3 and 4 get more air and appear lean. so i added a little fuel in cul 3,4 (cyl 4 is inj 7) and slight fuel in inj9 (is cyl 6 but inj 9 is on for cyl 6 with this sequential setup).

when you wire all this up remember to run the wires in away it can all be removed with the oem wiring harness.

HAL Why don't you just do an AEM EMS Thread for 89+ cars with hookups how to's pics's parts needed etc. or pm me details if it's not to much trouble i just purchased mines and would love if this was done by my fellow supra brothers

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
al

i would like to do that but am wiring up a 1uz into a 89 auto chasis. i dont have any experience with autos on aem. i could plagerize some info from various threads and add to it for a aem install book. would not be that hard. i could add pics and pub it in pdf format. and throw in some stuff not mentioned in the aem book.
but remember i am not a aem tuner. i just taught myself all this and i provide input in areas i have personally meddled with. we do need a aem install guidelines hand book.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
Halsupramk3;1614697 said:
al

i would like to do that but am wiring up a 1uz into a 89 auto chasis. i dont have any experience with autos on aem. i could plagerize some info from various threads and add to it for a aem install book. would not be that hard. i could add pics and pub it in pdf format. and throw in some stuff not mentioned in the aem book.
but remember i am not a aem tuner. i just taught myself all this and i provide input in areas i have personally meddled with. we do need a aem install guidelines hand book.

Seeing that i've converted my auto supra to manual but still running the auto stock ecu and harness would this pose a problem or not? Also i think all information regarding the EMS should be centralized to one thread there are to many threads lurking out there with valuable information. We need an AEM install guideline book on here i second that. Surveyor where you at i know you could help as well:icon_bigg

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
if you have the harness running the stock ecu for manual the aem will work fine as long as you have the wiring in all the stock pins. i think the only pin the aem would need on a manual would be the nuetral start switch.
just wire in the map and ait the put in the aem, get a base map and go.

i think ill make a aem wire up kit. with map, ait wiring and plugs. a sequential wire up ready to be installed to your injector wires and pinned into the aem. a boost control wire up and selonoid, a 3 channel ignitor to replace the multiplex PnP, and a known aem likable rebuilt cps. all ready to wire into the aem. you send me your map and i turn on whats needed to go with what is wired.

you acquire the map and ait sensors, and wire in the o2 correctly.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
Halsupramk3;1615177 said:
if you have the harness running the stock ecu for manual the aem will work fine as long as you have the wiring in all the stock pins. i think the only pin the aem would need on a manual would be the nuetral start switch.
just wire in the map and ait the put in the aem, get a base map and go.

i think ill make a aem wire up kit. with map, ait wiring and plugs. a sequential wire up ready to be installed to your injector wires and pinned into the aem. a boost control wire up and selonoid, a 3 channel ignitor to replace the multiplex PnP, and a known aem likable rebuilt cps. all ready to wire into the aem. you send me your map and i turn on whats needed to go with what is wired.

you acquire the map and ait sensors, and wire in the o2 correctly.

Yes Hal i really think you should make up and AEM wire up kit for the supra community trust me that would make things alot easier and push more guys into this standalone step PM me if your serious thanks.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
I don't know if this question was ever asked or posted please forgive me if it was but does the AEM EMS only support Sequential Injection or can it be runned different ways such as phaseing etc.? some people say that running sequential injection make much better/stable tune/idle/better gas mileage correct me if am wrong but don't you think that with this setup its much easier to experience a lean condition which could in turn result in engine failure lets say one or two injectors do not fire at all what happens then? with this said dont you think its safer running a batch fire system where more than one injector fire at one time into the cylinders?

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
I could really use an AEM install guide too. My friend has everything ready to go, we're just waiting to research as much as possible so it's done right. He's planning on doing a rebuild and adding a FFIM and big turbo so we may wait to install all at once so it'd only need to be tuned for one setup. This is probably a stupid question...but. Would it be beneficial to install his PnP AEM EMS without using the IAT, MAP, and wideband for a while before the rebuild? I know that sounds dumb but its a little depressing seeing that $2000 EMS collecting dust. Oh, and what is the best way to mount/install the MAP sensor? I've heard too many different things..

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I'm just about done with my second rebuild (finishing off things that I didn't do during my first rebuild years ago). I'm a novice too and am trying to learn as much as possible about the AEM. I have all my wiring complete and should be ready to try starting her up in about a week or so. Regarding where to put the MAP sensor and how to mount, I installed mine with one screw, attaching it to the stock ignitor bracket. I did the DH61 ignitor upgrade so I had room on that bracket. I removed the vacuum tubing to the power steering idle up valve since you don't need that with the AEM. I then used that vacuum port on the manifold side to run to my MAP sensor. This may not be a good pic but here's it mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 38