AEM pnp. cps or trigger-wheel?

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
I have a plug´n play AEM, but before installing I would like your AEM guys opinion. Does it work okey to use ignition-timing signal from oem cps (anything to be worried about), or should I mount a trigger-wheel.
My plan is to have a boostlevel aprox 1.3-1.4bar.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
CPS has worked for me so far, but I did replace the factory ignitor with a DH61 from an IS300 to eliminate multiplex issues. I also am using the IS300 coils as well and have had no problems running them either.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
thanks for the tip. Se if i can stumble across one of those. Is the multiplex causing a lot of extra headace when tuning in AEM otherwise?
How many hp are you running?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
From what I had read before doing any mods to my car I found that many AEM users struggled with a stumble/misfire problem when using the original ignitor. Rather than experience that myself, I figured that a better ignition system should be fitted. Using Funkycheeze's and tookwik4u's writeups, I upgraded everything to a VVTI 2JZ-GE system (from an IS-300)

As for power, I WAS running 417 on pump gas, but now with E-85 I have yet to dyno. I'm out of pump (single mk4 TT) and out of injector (greddy 720's) at 23psi boost so I won't tune it until a more robust fuel system is in place.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
ok, could "stumble/misfire problem" be dangourus or is it just disturbing/hp reducing? So majority AEM users replace oem ignitors right away, or is it at a certain hp level these problems come up.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
That I can't help you with, I just read there were problems so I bypassed the whole mess.

Since the issue seems to be related to the multiplex signals, I think it would be present at all times rather than at a specific power level.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
The CPS works well but if you want to play moving the camshaft foward or back looking for diferent power bands..... with the trigger system is easy!!!

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
The multiplex issues are present pretty much all the time, and it can be a massive headache. Better to upgrade at least the ignitor, and better it and the coils.

It's no suprise that the multiplex ignition system signalling method has not been used in any Toyota since the 7MGTE, or before. Basically we are on the business end of a science project gone wrong by Toyota engineers on that one.

Even people running a stock ECU on an older wiring harness start to run into issues with ringing and interference. The AEM box is just that much more suceptable.

Also remember to ground the engine and box well, including the wideband. This is important!

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
get the aem running with multiplex. then replace oem ignitor with 3 chanel as mentioned. also make sure your oem wiring at the cps is good and not cracked. the aem only uses the G1 signal and ne signal from the cps. you could wire these direct to the ecu with sheilded wire if you want.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
ok.
I think I will start with cps and multiplex and change later.. I need to start learning AEM. If i remove multiplex in future do i need to change some setting in AEM?
Also.. the software I have now is 1130_Stock MAF.V1.19 . In cam/cranck options option is set to supra 89-92. Is this the right software? It would be nice with as much pre-set as possible.