AEM for 87-88 in 1990 supra? aem advice.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
Is it possible to use AEM 30-1110 (plug'n play for 87-88) on a 90 supra. On ebay the 30-1110 is about 600dollars cheaper then the 30-1130.

Or are all AEM boxes basicly the same but with just different pre-settings for the specific car its use is intended for? It has the same basic features as universal AEM boxes and can be re-set to that?

I have no AFM so i need no "stock setting" in the AEM box.

Sorry if it seems like dumb questions, but Its a lot of money for me so I need to be sure I'm making the right choice.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
If your car is a 1990, then no, you cannot use the 87-88 box with your car. You can do it, however, if you got an 87-88 harness and re-pinned the body harness side of it so that everything in the car would work properly.

But if you are asking if it is plug and play for your 90, then no, it is not.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
935motorsports;1432646 said:
You just need an 87-90 adapter.

^^^winner!, now just to find a place that makes them, other wise you need a junk 89+ ecu( for the pins and what not) , and the engine harness ends of a 87-88 and put them together.

935, you make anything like that, or know where to pick the harness ends to make a jumper harness?

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I'm sorry I can't offer that service to you.

But if you pick up the ends from the junkyard, both ECU and harness side from both years, you can easily make one.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
^^ If anything 87-88 harness ends and 89+ junk ECU to make a adapter depending on what my cheap ass dose ;) I was also looking at the universal AEM but is more $$$ then the pnp one. Again here I am being a cheap ass :rofl:

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
92nsx;1432706 said:
^^ If anything 87-88 harness ends and 89+ junk ECU to make a adapter depending on what my cheap ass dose ;) I was also looking at the universal AEM but is more $$$ then the pnp one. Again here I am being a cheap ass :rofl:

You can always tear apart your ecu for the connector......

Also the yellow plug connectors can be found on pretty much any supra from 82-87, the pin configuration is way off but the plug itself is the same.

Hope that bit helps someone.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
Ok. Thank you for the info. Have to se what i can find here.. it's so rare car here in sweden.

My plan is to first pass inspection in mars and then install an aem ecu. To keep orginal harness and probably replace more important wires.
two more questions:
1. Is it often you get trouble because of old wires in original harness if you keep it?

2. What are the most difficult features in the original supra system to get to work with the aem box (This perhaps will be the same problem whatever standalone i choose)
ABS? rev-meter?

Or maybe its easyer to say which functions will stop working if I just plug in the box and start the car.

Last edited:

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
pln;1432743 said:
Ok. Thank you for the info. Have to se what i can find here.. it's so rare car here in sweden.

My plan is to first pass inspection in mars and then install an aem ecu. To keep orginal harness and probably replace more important wires.
two more questions:
1. Is it often you get trouble because of old wires in original harness if you keep it?

2. What are the most difficult features in the original supra system to get to work with the aem box (This perhaps will be the same problem whatever standalone i choose)
ABS? rev-meter?

Or maybe its easyer to say which functions will be working if I just plug in the box and start the car.

The abs on our cars functions separately from the ECU.

The tach is driven by the factory ignitor.
It is all pretty easy to get to work together with the AEM.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
funky_monkey58;1432771 said:
The abs on our cars functions separately from the ECU.

The tach is driven by the factory ignitor.
It is all pretty easy to get to work together with the AEM.

This sound better and better:icon_bigg
And there is no downside in using a plug n play type instead of universal. Not so it only works with supra original sensors and is hard to get to work with other better aftermarket sensors when i want to upgrade/replace. I suspect you can cofigure it to work with almost any sensor?

I have innovate broad band lambda sensor,, it will match i suppose?
Are you guys happy with the boostfunktion in AEM. Is it open loop?

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
pln;1432815 said:
This sound better and better:icon_bigg
And there is no downside in using a plug n play type instead of universal. Not so it only works with supra original sensors and is hard to get to work with other better aftermarket sensors when i want to upgrade/replace. I suspect you can cofigure it to work with almost any sensor?

I have innovate broad band lambda sensor,, it will match i suppose?
Are you guys happy with the boostfunktion in AEM. Is it open loop?

Yes it is fully configurable for sensors.

And it will work with your wideband. As far as the boost control, I generally run a manual boost controller. With the AEM I was unable to hold boost with a gm boost solenoid.

Could have been setup error as well.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
funky_monkey58;1432824 said:
Yes it is fully configurable for sensors.

And it will work with your wideband. As far as the boost control, I generally run a manual boost controller. With the AEM I was unable to hold boost with a gm boost solenoid.

Could have been setup error as well.

ok. Well fortunately I have a aem solenoid that I'm using with mapecu2 now so hopefully that will work better.

Will check enginge lamp work aswell?

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
pln;1432851 said:
ok. Well fortunately I have a aem solenoid that I'm using with mapecu2 now so hopefully that will work better.

Will check enginge lamp work aswell?
The AEM does not have a function that throws the check engine light.

It does have some error functions but I have not really gone into it too much personally.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
Does it matter if i use non turbo harness from a 87, if i want to modd my harness to fitt an AEM 86-87 ecu? Or has it to be from a 7mgte ecu?

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
pln;1433662 said:
Does it matter if i use non turbo harness from a 87, if i want to modd my harness to fitt an AEM 86-87 ecu? Or has it to be from a 7mgte ecu?
As long as you go over the pinouts an NA harness plug will work just fine.

In fact my harness plug came from an NA:naughty:

-Sean

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
Are there internal amplifiers for the ignition in the plug'n play box aswell, so I am able to controll dwell. I have been told that i might need to controll dwell if I plan to boost more then aprox 1.4-1.5.
My setup is 550cc and i plan to boost 1.4 and I have around normal compression. What are your experiences on this