AEM F/IC Piggyback - Does anyone have experience using with 7M???

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I've searched all over for information pertaining to using the AEM F/IC on the 7M, and I've found next to nothing. The only half informative thing I found was on AEM's tech forum where someone was asking how to get it to work, then followed up with something "my car is running now, thanks AEM tech support! I'll follow up when I get everything running perfectly." That was a few years ago, and there was no follow-up...

Understanding that there are many options out there, my mechanic recommended the AEM F/IC to meet my needs... He's been in the MKIII / MKIV Supra game for quite some time, along with doing many swaps, using the 2J in 300Z bodies and the 1J in Lexus GS bodies, etc... He's comfortable and competent tuning using AEM software, however I'm wondering if he's biting off more than he can chew with the 7M (I don't believe he's done the F/IC on the 7M).

Do any of you have any knowledge of or experience running the AEM F/IC with the 7M?

My current setup:

7MGTE w/ stock CT26 (stock boost)
BC 272 Cams w/ Fidanza adjustable gears, +1mm SS Valves, titanium springs w/ SS retainers
CP +.020 Pistons w/ BC Pro Rods
ARP Head studs and Main bolts
HKS 2.2mm Stopper MHG
Greddy Timing Belt
AEM UEGO Wideband
3" DDP off turbo, 3" RT High Flow Cat, 3.15" Tanabe Super Hyper Medallion Cat-Back

My goals:

I'd like to get to around 400-450rwhp in the near term... Not sure what my distant future goals are, but I'd like to maintain a fully streetable car I can drive to the track, handle my business, then drive home.

Upgraded turbo (undecided)
Engine management (undecided)
Boost controller (undecided)
Fuel / injection, etc...

Any help is truly appreciated!

James

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
For a 400rwhp turbo, look at an upgraded CT, 60-1 will get you there. As far as an EMS it depends exactly what you're looking for, same with the BC.

If your mechanic is recommending the AEM tuning software, he must be comfortable with it. IF he is comfortable, ask him first, go with the PnP AEM EMS v2 from driftmotion along with the IAT and GM map sensor. You could also purchase the boost control solenoid for the AEM.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I checked the DM site and the AEM EMS V2 PnP for the MKIII is for 89-02 - I may be missing something though, not a very intuitive website and search didn't really work for me... I may go for a full stand alone, however I'm wondering why he's pointing toward (and seems pretty confident about) the F/IC piggyback...

Do you know anything about the F/IC?

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I am going to be using a universal aem v2 standalone controller and I thought about running the AEM F/IC instead due to savings in cost and so on. If you spend the money on the controller you get what you pay for. There is way more that you can do just in the difference of the standalone vs the f/ic. Take your time and I definitely agree with IndigomkII about the IAT and GM map sensor.

As for an upgraded ct, you could run one of these kits
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mgte60-1turbokit.php
I found, bang for the buck, they are off the charts good. It would be something to go for instead of paying 500-1000 dollars for a restricted stock setup and its setup to run your wideband O2 sensor already.

In the end, to make the power you want, you have to make the engine breath better, open up your intake and exhaust sides and give it enough fuel to make sure you dont lean out. Personally I think the standalone computer is well worth the extra money (buy the universal for more tuning options) and the F/IC is kinda limited.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
personally i dont have experience with the f/ic but aaron at dm said to make it pnp just send in your ecu so he can remove the plugs. i asked because i have an 88 as well.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I just got off the phone with AEM a few minutes ago and the rep assured that it would work (although he stated that "on paper" they have no examples of a 7M running one). He said to go for the FIC -8 instead of the FIC -6 for the frequency based flow meter support.

Just FYI, here are the specs of the F/IC -8:

Injector Channels: 8
Advanced Injector Load Simulation & Filtering: Yes
Timing Channels (Cam + Crank): 5
High/Low Voltage Selectable MAG-Driver Outputs: Yes
TPS Input: Yes
MAP Sensor (Onboard): Yes
MAP (0-5v Intercept): Yes
MAF (0-5v Intercept): Yes
Frequency Based Flow Meter Support: Yes*
Speedometer Recalibrator: Yes*
o2 Sensor Remapping: Yes
External AFR Input: Yes
Generic 0-5v Remappers: 2
Boost Controller (Requires AEM 30-2400 Solenoid): Yes
IAT Logging Input: Yes
PC Datalogging: Yes
Internal Logging Memory: 2 Mb
VTEC Output/Control/+12V Switched Output: Yes

*Can use either a frequency based flow meter sensor or the speedometer remapper but not both at the same time

It really does look like a little brother to the EMS, and looks to have all the features I'd need (although it may be nice to have timing advancement).

What would a stand alone offer that this cannot for the range I'm targeting? I apologize for my ignorance - I'm new to this portion of the game (engine management) and I'm trying to do what I need to do without substantially overdoing things...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Iirc you cannot control timing with the fic.

Also iirc I think that just gets hard wired in the manipulate the Stock Ecu like a afc.

Better off with a full standalone. Like the aem, megasquirt 3, pro efi, etc.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
You can retard timing but you cannot advance it with the FIC.

You are correct, it's a piggyback, so it does manipulate the stock ECU, which does certainly make some things more difficult.

Why? Please elaborate as to what benefits the full standalone setup would offer me for twice the $$$ at my target range of 400-450whp. If it truly justifies the price differential I'll gladly do it, but I just want to understand what more the standalone setup will do for me. It also sounds like with the standalone I'd have to purchase even more additional sensors and such to fully take advantage of it... So, realistically we're looking at ~$500 for the F/IC -8 or ~$1,600 for the full stand alone setup, assuming I purchase new... I really would like to justify that...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can reach your goal on a piggy back no doubt.

But you will get a much better tune with a standalone. Much more features as well with a standalone. launch control fully sequential fuel and ignition control. nos. etc.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can reach your goal on a piggy back no doubt.

But you will get a much better tune with a standalone. Much more features as well with a standalone. launch control fully sequential fuel and ignition control. nos. etc.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I've had personal experience running the FIC on my car. 1jz t67 at 19psi

Hated it. Won't ever run one again.

Yeah you can retard timing but without any knock sensor recording its kinda pointless. We were having to just guess, that and the maf clamp was stupid and when we were finally able to get fuel cut deleted it was running lean then we had to add a bunch of fuel. And for some reason it always ran really fat in 1st and second, perfect in 3rd, then lean in 4th and 5th.

The one thing I hated was the jumper harness it comes with, yeah it was nice brin able to remove the FIC and hook back up to stock using the jumper but every single pin was falling out! Aem had to replace it twice and it always was a different design, almost like they were trying to fix that issue.

I ran it on a LC-1 and never could get the wideband to work properly with the system. Always had to have the two programs open. It's garbage IMO

Here is a video of it
http://youtu.be/53d4HlDV_T0

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I tried running it on my 2j and had the same issues as albert. If not wanting to go standalone I would look at mapecu. It does not have timing control but it works great on 7ms. It removes the afm and if u blow a coupler you arent stranded because the system is MAP based. If you want the timing control look at mapecu 2. Overall i found mapecu more tunable than the fic