AEM EMS V1 Crank Injector Time Table and Initial Crank Pulse Table.

shadowlurker

Nov 3, 2008
Wisconsin
Hello all, Im having some issues getting my car started. Im thinking im not getting enough fuel for a good startup. If I pump the gas a little bit the car almost wants to start up. I have FIC 850cc injectors but am running the same numbers as the Stock 1130 map. Crank Inject all is on, fuel pump primes. What does everyone else have for numbers with similar injectors? Or is their any sort of method anybody uses to add fuel on startup? Thanks

My Crank Injector Time Table numbers are:

Raw----------Throttle percent
91-------------0
63-------------6
45-------------12
40-------------18
37-------------24

My Initial Crank Pulse Table numbers are:

uSec---------Coolant Temp
29440-------- -40
28460--------- -22
25600--------- -4
24320--------- 14
21760--------- 32
20480--------- 50
17920--------- 68
16640--------- 86
14080--------- 104
12800--------- 122

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'll check my maps tonight, but I am running 1350 injectors so there will be some variance.

Cold start is always the hardest to get right. Best advice I can give is make sure the car is fully dyno tuned before trying to tackle cold start, as the main maps affect starting as well. No sense in bashing your head against a wall!

shadowlurker

Nov 3, 2008
Wisconsin
Well I got the car to start, takes about 3 tries though. :/ Once I got the car started it shot up to 3.5k rpms. I shut the car off immediately for fear of any damage. Im a bit scared to start the car again haha. I checked have the TPS all set up, voltages, throttle analog input. The tps is at 0% and functions correctly when i press the pedal down and release it. I have my MAP sensor all hooked up as well. The engine load is 52 ish with key on. The load climbs when i press the gas pedal down, and I have the MAP sensor input set to MAP voltage.

I recently did some wiring to hook up a suprastick for my transmission. While I was doing that I came across this thread. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?82479-Fixed-Speed-Signal-glitching-in-AEM
So i decided to do a little preventative measure and do the little bit of wiring for this as well. However I just realized I did not do any of the setup changes in the aem map. Would anything related to the vehicle speed sensor or the suprastick cause this really high rpm right on start? Im a little hesitant to start the car again if making those VSS changes dont fix the high rpm start. I realize I need do them, but i do not want to be testing anything with the car starting the way it is.

Thanks for your time.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
To me, that seems like a crap ton of fuel. Remember the initial pulse is also modified by the cold start enrichment % table.

I have 680cc injectors, and a 15 raw for the crank injector time (works out to around 1200 usec at 90C, and 2000 usec at 20C after the cold start enrichment)

Initial crank pulse is 10,000 usec across the board. Enrichment is zero all the way down to 50C, then increases linearly to 125% at -40C.

Also I let the pump prime for a full 4 seconds before starting. This make sure it doesn't cut out as soon as it catches.

shadowlurker

Nov 3, 2008
Wisconsin
Thanks for the response! Yea I was using all the numbers from stock map. I lowered it significantly since then. But it looks like I might be lowering it a bit more yet.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
crank injector time shouldn't be substantially different from idle pulse width at the same temperature. Use initial crank pulse to get that initial shot of fuel for quick start up.

shadowlurker

Nov 3, 2008
Wisconsin
Still struggling with the car starting. Im gonna replace the spark plugs again. Ive uploaded my map, if i could get some input on it that would be much appreciated.

I am can get the car running occasionally on 4 spark teeth and 12 fuel teeth. However its supposed to be 12 spark and 24 fuel teeth correct? I havent had any luck with getting the car to start on 12spark and 24fuel. So I switched it back. But i doubt thats the problem.

Just some quick info.
850cc FIC Injectors
Wired for sequential.
Coil On Plug setup from is300.
dh61 ignitor

Thanks for your time.

View attachment No_Start_Shadowlurker.V1.19.cal

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hey Shadow- send me your e-mail address and I'll shoot you an old map with the right settings- lots of the stuff you have posted is significantly different than mine- might be worth a shot trying my map and settings and going from there.

*Generic Disclaimer: my setup might be different so there is risk in using my map- be aware that I cannot be held responsible for any damage caused.*

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Did you end up getting startup tuned OK? I'm on a V2 box and trying to get startup tuned and it seems to get better if my crank injector time is 2-3x my warm idle pulsewidth. Anything less than this and I'm showing symptoms of lean start (long cranking/sputtering, spark plugs not fuel soaked, etc). Although startup is still very inconsistent for me.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Do you have an initial fuel pulse to wet the manifold etc? That helps a lot, and lets you use starting pulse widths closer to running ones.

On a cold start, the starting pulse width should be similar to the running pulse width AT THE SAME TEMPERATURE. Very important to set up the cold start compensation properly.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I think I figured it out. I degreed my cams in (BC 264's) and turns out they both needed advanced 2 degrees to match the cam card and made it start a little easier. I advanced the exhaust cam 2 more degrees and retarded the intake 1 degree and it seems MUCH better. I have my crank injector time down to my idle pulsewidth now and a proper line in the initial crank pulse table and it's much better. This makes me wonder how some people get startup on much bigger cams ok without tons of fuel and lots of throttle though...my cams hardly loped even when set at 0,0 it just made startup horrid.