AEM EMS tuning questions

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
I used a spreadsheet I found on the AEM forums to develop a boost compensated map cell by cell after tuning up to atmospheric pressure. I will forward that sheet (which also has a feature for the temp compensation) as well as my cal files to you. Beware that my engine is far from stock, and the wiring is a little different (used AFM output wires for the MAP sensor so I don't need the aux connector on the AEM box, among other things). You should be able to use the fuel and spark maps, and other info though. It will be for stock 440s.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Funkycheeze;1702231 said:
I used a spreadsheet I found on the AEM forums to develop a boost compensated map cell by cell after tuning up to atmospheric pressure. I will forward that sheet (which also has a feature for the temp compensation) as well as my cal files to you. Beware that my engine is far from stock, and the wiring is a little different (used AFM output wires for the MAP sensor so I don't need the aux connector on the AEM box, among other things). You should be able to use the fuel and spark maps, and other info though. It will be for stock 440s.
Sounds good, I appreciate it! I don't really want to copy all of it, More just want to get an idea of what everything should look like. I'm sure there's many settings that the tuner didn't change that need to be changed. The timing map is what im worried about, mine seems all over the place. If you want to email it to me my email is redhot91gt@cox.net

Thanks

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
To update my last post, my injector phasing is as follows, using 24 fuel teeth
8 0 16 8 16 0 with a phase of 0.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
That's pretty much the same as mine - I just trigger half the fuel 4 teeth earlier to smooth out the idle.

And i have the base sync at 0 also. Will send those things to you this evening.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
adampecush;1703060 said:
To update my last post, my injector phasing is as follows, using 24 fuel teeth
8 0 16 8 16 0 with a phase of 0.
Interesting, I tried this setup with 24 fuel teeth. It would start I had to modify my fuel map some, but It wouldnt stay consistent a/f ratios would be ok for a second then jump all over the place and repeat. I however tried this same phasing with 12 fuel teeth and got it to run pretty good. Only issue was slight idle bump/miss at low loads like idle.. etc.. Car ran great once I started going and getting into higher load areas.
Funkycheeze;1703416 said:
That's pretty much the same as mine - I just trigger half the fuel 4 teeth earlier to smooth out the idle.

And i have the base sync at 0 also. Will send those things to you this evening.
Looking forward to comparing the cal files. I have tried your half 4 fuel teeth earlier but for some reason it just doesnt want to run. BTW why only half of the fuel teeth are staged? Doesn't that just mean half the cylinders are getting fuel 4 teeth earlier?

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
It means each of the 3 banks fires half its fuel 4 teeth earlier, making at least some of it fire on the open valve of each cylinder for a smoother idle.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
redhot91gt;1703539 said:
Interesting, I tried this setup with 24 fuel teeth. It would start I had to modify my fuel map some, but It wouldnt stay consistent a/f ratios would be ok for a second then jump all over the place and repeat. I however tried this same phasing with 12 fuel teeth and got it to run pretty good. Only issue was slight idle bump/miss at low loads like idle.. etc.. Car ran great once I started going and getting into higher load areas.

If you tried this with 12 fuel teeth, you would be firing two sets of injectors at 0, and one set at 8.

With that said, my idle is complete shit right now, but i don't think its the phasing...I'm having my car professionally tuned in a couple weeks, but in the meantime, I have one more thing to try. Apparently a throttle position reading of "0", even transient, will royally screw with the idle of the car...Hopefully a TPS min adjustment will clear this up.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
my car wouldn't idle at all, and it was completely due to a faulty/poorly designed engine coolant temp sensor. mine was a cheap one with a green body, replaced it with a black body that had longer pins, and boom, easy idle. might be something worth checking. mine had this issue with a brand new engine harness and a brand new sensor.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
adampecush;1703937 said:
If you tried this with 12 fuel teeth, you would be firing two sets of injectors at 0, and one set at 8.

With that said, my idle is complete shit right now, but i don't think its the phasing...I'm having my car professionally tuned in a couple weeks, but in the meantime, I have one more thing to try. Apparently a throttle position reading of "0", even transient, will royally screw with the idle of the car...Hopefully a TPS min adjustment will clear this up.
Oh OK, I don't understand why my car wont idle at all at 24 fuel teeth. Its all over the place no matter where I put the fuel map. I went ahead and changed the phasing to 4 0 8 4 8 0 with 12 fuel teeth... How does that sound. Isn't that similar to your setup with 24 teeth. It seems to run pretty good.

BTW I have been reading this thread on supraforums http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?520811-Let-s-actually-talk-dyno-*tuning*

It seems pretty detailed and helpful. Although it seems to all be for the 2jz. :( but should be fairly similar.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Enraged;1703977 said:
my car wouldn't idle at all, and it was completely due to a faulty/poorly designed engine coolant temp sensor. mine was a cheap one with a green body, replaced it with a black body that had longer pins, and boom, easy idle. might be something worth checking. mine had this issue with a brand new engine harness and a brand new sensor.

not that I've really checked, but did you notice anything weird with the coolant temp value when logging? it had seemed pretty consistent for me but a new one is certainly worth trying before the tuner comes to town. Any chance you know the part number?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
adampecush;1704154 said:
not that I've really checked, but did you notice anything weird with the coolant temp value when logging? it had seemed pretty consistent for me but a new one is certainly worth trying before the tuner comes to town. Any chance you know the part number?

when enrageds car was here the refreash rate of the aem is slow so you wonte see it flicker just miss's and craps out alot

i notice it when i was setting up the coolent fan it whould flick on and off wail have teh settings set to 2

this mad the time all mess every thing played with theeth and phasing had ti going but ran like crap

the aem if it does not see coolent temp propley it wil kill spark

might be a good idea to look into

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Funkycheeze;1702231 said:
Just wondering if you ever got around to sending the files. I never received anything and am still interested if you have them. My car is running pretty good now after injection phase changes.