AEM and vipec

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
aljordan;1543871 said:
I personally know of three 7M AEM cars that have never had an issue. There are countless people (supra, evo, viper, ect) on the AEM V1 who make silly power and have made silly power for years. People like to blame the hardware when in reality it's the tuner that's the problem. It wouldn't suprise me to see all these "hardware" issues have a rookie or uneducated tune pushing the buttons.

I agree with you 100 % It's all in the tune! I have seen some maps from some of the "TOP Tuners" and all of them look like they have been copy and pasted from another car. Some of these top tuners dont set up O2 feedback and also knock control on the AEM. They also dont tune and data log as they go and they claim to get a car drivable in under two hours.

I have seen problems with AEM's only with USB to serial adapters. It does have a funny effect on the Eprom, but it will never blow up and engine. I have several of my customers cars on AEM and never had an issue. The cars start fine, drive like if they where oem ecu's and make over 600+ and 800+ horse daily.

honestabe;1545407 said:
ViPEC has excellent customer service. They have a forum for technical support as well as getting very fast (sometimes within the hour) response if you send them an e-mail. Ray Hall is the main guy at ViPEC and I sent him an e-mail the other day to look at my map and see if he noticed anything odd (I am having a severe stumbling issue around 2300-2500 RPM's) and he got back to me within the hour. They also regularly update their website with software upgrades. So far it's been nothing but pleasure working with the ViPEC. The auto-tune feature is very nice to have to. You can tell it what value you want in what range and it will automatically adjust your map for you to help speed up the tuning process.

Adam AEM has all of the same features you just mentioned, not knowing what a product has as features is not a base for disparaging it. AEM V.1 is a solid ecu, so solid that I use it on all VVTi powered cars that we have recently tuned and built. I've even used 87 and 88 7MGTE AEM EMS to run non VVTi and VVTi 2jz's.

I've had V-pros Destroy engines, but that doesn't make it a bad ECU. I changed the tuner and they worked flawlessly, after the change in tuners. Does that make it a bad ECU?
You guys have to remember, even if it's a V-pro, Vipec, AEM, haltech, motec, It is a "user programmable engine management system", If you tell it to blow up the engine, it will do it with out thinking twice about it.

My .02