Advice on power steering coolers

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
I'm going to install a power steering cooler on the 1j and I was just wondering what is the recommended cooler for a daily/weekend track car. How many rows should be on the cooler and what type of fluid should keep the p.s.r. cooler?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You want to run Dex III ATF in the PS system...the synthetic types (Mobil 1 is good) will take the heat better. The stock 7M oil cooler makes a great PS cooler...make sure you flush it out 1st though. The rail type transmission coolers are an option or any cooler the approx size of the 7M one works well.

A cooler needs to be installed on the low pressure side, preferably with good air flow. While you're at it, put a Magnafine in-line filter on too.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Damn jdub, you keep making me add parts to my list!!

First the oiling system, now this! :biglaugh: I'm going to have to get one of those filters at some point

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
whatever you do get a cooler that actually has mounting brackets ;p i hate that mine doesnt hehe

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Jdub, would you recommend hydro-fan cooler to be smth esle other than a stock 7m power steering cooler? should there be a filter also?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You're gonna have to help me out...the specifics on the 1J is not my strong point ;)
What fluid drives the Hydro Fan? I was always under the impression it was engine coolant?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
jdub;1123481 said:
You're gonna have to help me out...the specifics on the 1J is not my strong point ;)
What fluid drives the Hydro Fan? I was always under the impression it was engine coolant?

Well, from what i know it works like power steering. It has a pump and pressure hose. The pump is driven by the drive belt just like a power steering. It uses DEX II fluid if i'm not mistaken. I don't have the original 1jz reservoir so i can't tell what it calls for from the factory but it's for sure Dexron i'm just not sure if it's II or III. I have it hooked up to stock 7m power steering cooler, and it gets very very hot. Burns your skin hot. I think hydrofan system generates more heat than powersteering system. My powersteering cooler gets barely warm after long drives but the fan cooler is too hot. I was just wondering if it makes sense to put something bigger to cool the hydrofan fluid. I have a 3 row tube and fin for powersteering cooler.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Alright...the hydro fan ATF circuit is different from the PS circuit...correct?
That is they have separate coolers.

If so, the stock PS cooler has minimum cooling capability. The stock oil cooler should work well for this application as well...basically the same as what I said earlier.

Any hydraulic drive system like PS or the hydro fan will benefit from additional cooling...heat is the #1 killer of hydraulic systems. #2 is dirty fluid...a filter will provide a huge benefit as well.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
jdub;1123544 said:
Alright...the hydro fan ATF circuit is different from the PS circuit...correct?
That is they have separate coolers.

If so, the stock PS cooler has minimum cooling capability. The stock oil cooler should work well for this application as well...basically the same as what I said earlier.

Any hydraulic drive system like PS or the hydro fan will benefit from additional cooling...heat is the #1 killer of hydraulic systems. #2 is dirty fluid...a filter will provide a huge benefit as well.

Thanks. Yes they have separate coolers. I just feel that hydrofan needs more cooling than stock PS cooler since the fan spins so fast. Hydrofan fluid get very thin when hot, almost like water, when PS fluid stays more or less thick.