Advice on Machine Work For Fully Built Motor??

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
My machinst and me aggreed on a little under .002... because its mainly going to be a street car, and its never going to see over 500hp/400RWHP~

he said he runs his race motors at AT LEAST .002... if not more. but what really defines a 'race' engine when you have guys like you on here. haha 700hp on a legal car...

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I may be blind, but I still don't see where boostedflow posted his HP goal. Some of his mods may not be needed. Try to thermal clean the block instead of hot tanking.

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
Doward;1008964 said:
800hp, I'd go .003" mains and rods, and run a 40wt oil.

Ok, so it really would be ok to go outside of toyota's max clearance?

I can understand what your saying as far as those specs were made for 2xx HP with 30wt oil 20yrs ago.

So since My power output goal is soo much higher we need to take that into account.

Thanks for your input

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
suprarich;1009247 said:
I may be blind, but I still don't see where boostedflow posted his HP goal. Some of his mods may not be needed. Try to thermal clean the block instead of hot tanking.

Yeah Ideal posted it. My ultimate goal is that elusive 800hp mark.

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
suprarich;1009247 said:

Oh and whats the difference and benefits over Thermal cleaning to hot tanking.

I know hot tanking ruins the freeze plugs and aux bearings but those are being replaced.

Also I have 40over wiseco's that I'm thinking about switching out for 20over something and I've seen those Titan Pistons do you have a set of 20overs still ?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
BoostedFloto;1009251 said:
Oh and whats the difference and benefits over Thermal cleaning to hot tanking.

I know hot tanking ruins the freeze plugs and aux bearings but those are being replaced.

Also I have 40over wiseco's that I'm thinking about switching out for 20over something and I've seen those Titan Pistons do you have a set of 20overs still ?

Thermal cleaning: the block is baked in an oven, then tumbled in shot to remove everything. This usually always clean better than hot tanking. Thermal cleaning will remove everything inside and out, stress relieve the block, and be pretty much ready for paint when it comes out. Yes, I have .020 Titan pistons still. All bearings, plugs, need to be removed for thermal cleaning as well. If you do install the TMS billet mains, line bore the block first, then have the gasket surface prepped using the newly aligned mains to indicate off of. This will square up the rotating assembly to the head. For peace of mind, I would re-treat the crank if you have it ground one full size under. You may or may not be past the hardness, but for 800+ Hp, I would nitride the crank after grinding. Set you clearance after the nitride by polishing a little, because your crank can grow .0001 to .0003 after nitriding.
Make sure your cank is not hard chromed be fore taking to the nitrider, he will shoot you if chrome goes in his door. You can test for chrome by putting a little copper sulfate on the crank, it will turn green if it has chrome on it.

2jzmk3

Idealsupra;1007594 said:
Tight like a tiger!

Id go with .035 for mains and .030 for rods.

suprarich;1009333 said:
Thermal cleaning: the block is baked in an oven, then tumbled in shot to remove everything. This usually always clean better than hot tanking. Thermal cleaning will remove everything inside and out, stress relieve the block, and be pretty much ready for paint when it comes out. Yes, I have .020 Titan pistons still. All bearings, plugs, need to be removed for thermal cleaning as well. If you do install the TMS billet mains, line bore the block first, then have the gasket surface prepped using the newly aligned mains to indicate off of. This will square up the rotating assembly to the head. For peace of mind, I would re-treat the crank if you have it ground one full size under. You may or may not be past the hardness, but for 800+ Hp, I would nitride the crank after grinding. Set you clearance after the nitride by polishing a little, because your crank can grow .0001 to .0003 after nitriding.
Make sure your cank is not hard chromed be fore taking to the nitrider, he will shoot you if chrome goes in his door. You can test for chrome by putting a little copper sulfate on the crank, it will turn green if it has chrome on it.

damn.. thats alot of great info... i hope he takes your advice so he can finally enjoy the car.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
suprarich;1009333 said:

Awesome post. What do you mean by using the the align bored mains to indicate off of? Are you saying basically just ask them to do the bore first and then do the decking? Or is it something specific that should be asked of the machine shop?

Are you in agreeance with Dowards clearance numbers for this high of HP build? Im a little weary of going COMPLETELY out of Toyota spec. Although it DOES make sense.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
when doing a rebuild and getting the block hot tanked, you have to replace the aux bearing? im in the middle of a build right now and did not order one. my machinist should know about this right?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If it's been hot tanked yes the AUX bearings need to be replaced but be sure to take the shaft along as well and have the machinst ensure it actually fits in afterwards. (might save a return trip)

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
sneakypete;1009625 said:
when doing a rebuild and getting the block hot tanked, you have to replace the aux bearing? im in the middle of a build right now and did not order one. my machinist should know about this right?

Yes the hot tanking ruins the Aux Bearings and Freeze Plugs.....After being burned by Machine Shops that should know things. I wouldn't take it for granted and call and have them press in new ones for you !!!!

Back on topic:

Rich thanks for the advice the Thermal cleaning definitely is how I'll go. I'm also curious as what Idealsupra asked you(he is helping me with this so sometimes he'll respond and not me vice versa)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
IJ.;1009629 said:
If it's been hot tanked yes the AUX bearings need to be replaced but be sure to take the shaft along as well and have the machinst ensure it actually fits in afterwards. (might save a return trip)

what shaft? the oil pump shaft?

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
sneakypete;1009682 said:
i thought it was a bearing.... you can see how im new at this. lol
good thing i have a new oil pump

You'll need new Aux Bearings. IJ suggested you bring the AUX shaft into the machine shop at the same time as sometimes when new bearings are installed the shaft doesn't fit. Then the machine shop needs to machine some off to make it all fit.