Advice needed on block

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Got my block cleaned up real nice but I noticed some pitting, and thought I'd share a few pictures on here and get some insight as to how bad it is?

nopittingem2.jpg

This is the intake side, very smooth

pitting1sq3.jpg

pitting2na2.jpg

pitting3ih9.jpg

Thoughts? My plan was to have my head perfectly planed, and use a OEM composite headgasket sprayed with the copper gasket stuff.

Oh, and the whole block
wholeblocksandedhu7.jpg

Oh, and these were all phone pictures, so if its a bit hard to see I'm sorry lol

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Actually, for a stock gasket ap., it looks pretty good(I've seen a whole lot worse...). What did you use to clean it up?

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
LOL

Probably not the best idea, but I was using 80 grit aluminum oxide sand paper. Then I got fed up with sanding, so I grabbed my mom's b/f's electric wire brush, which worked very nicely, although it probably wasnt smart. I've cleaned out the cylinder's 3 times since then though

65732026.jpg

somethin like that

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
No way? I figured you guys would call me crazy, sayin I could be flingin wires and debris into my cylinder walls n stuff

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
What would bother me is the peices of wire and material that you cleaned off getting into the holes for the oil and coolant, not to mention the bolt holes, unless you had some way of keeping it out of those areas.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Hmmm.... I'd be worried about using the sandpaper(as Doward said). The first pic looks like it was sanded. You need to get a straight edge, and check the block for low spots. It's pretty easy to remove a thin layer of steel in small areas, especially if its a little soft in spots. Probably the lighting, but the circled areas look a little questionable.

If you refer back to your pic, they seem like dark spots where maybe you sanded a little hard

Last edited:

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
i move it into the main shop tomorrow, and i'll definately take a straight edge to it since i'll have quite a few more tools and more space.

heres a lower shot of it, i thnk it might be the lighting, as i didnt keep the wire brush in the same direction the entire time.
lowphotoyl9.jpg

as for the bolt holes and coolant passages, air hose :D
and when i start it i plan on keeping the bottom hose off and running straight water through it for the first 10 minutes or so to flush it, plus I've heard dont run antifreeze on a new head gasket if possible

edit: btw great idea on the magnet! i could get one of those small extenda ones and stick it down in the bolt holes/passages/cylinders

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
I did the same on mine with a wire brush. Worked a treat. Just make sure there is no pitting, damage or indentation where the fire rings go around the bores. If so you will need to have it decked.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
see thats the problem, if you look at the pictures, thats were the pitting came from, the fire rings. when it got so hot they kind of melted and yea, cylinders 1 and 6, those rings were tear drop shaped sort of.

Btw, can anyone tell me how critical it is to have the bearing caps for the cams be from the original head? my machinist said he cant switch everything over without the original cam caps because they'll put the cam in a bind. Is this true?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Well, they all have to be in the correct order, and be pointing in the correct direction, so I would imagine so. I think he could mix and match, if you have a bunch off of another head, and find one close enough that he could bore it to fit correctly. Might cost you a little extra, though...

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
no, the please of a PITA supra lol. head is garbage, i buy a new one bare, machinist says i need the original cam caps, a million other small things. :'(

iMod

Oct 9, 2007
Centralia/Chehalis
Burntz;886823 said:
Ughhh why do I run into so many problems with this damn supra? lol

Hahaha join the club. I bought mine in October and I've barely been able to drive it....which totally sucks cos the car is so damn cool...

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
thats not the exact one, just a quick picture i found that is somewhat similar lol.

The one i used polished and cleaned more then anything. I mean shit it had a hell of a time getting a few gaskets off things, so it isnt too harsh.