Advantages of Race Gas (C16)

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
I would like to know the technicality behind using C16.
I know that using it at the track can give you the oppourtunity to turn up your boost...But to what extent?

Assuming that you are on a stock fuel system (440's, stock AFM, etc.), lets say that you are running 14psi. Now put in race gas. How does this effect your AFM and injectors? Would this allow you to run a few PSI heavier? or would you still hit FCO? I just want to know at what point in your system does it prevent you from turning up the boost..

Now lets assume that you are on 550's, MAFT & Walbro 255.
Tuned, and with more Air/Fuel to play with, using race gas would allow you to turn up your boost. Correct?

If possible, someone just fill me in on what the fuel is actually doing to your car. Thanks a lot. :icon_razz

Jeff

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
dunno about how far you can turn it up, but keep in mind leaded fuels like C16 can harm your catalytic convertor(if you even have one) and sometimes Oxygen sensors......

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I've run C-16 full time before. Other than the fact that it will:

1. Destroy cats
2. Eat up o2 sensors pretty quick
3. Eat away any part of your exhaust system that isn't 100% stainless

It's awesome fuel for high boost.

It does get pricey. Even when I'm buying it in 55 gal drums it isn't cheap...

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
IJ. said:
It's gonna give ya a Badrilliion RWHP extra do it :)! .........
(unless the motor needs it you'll lose HP)
Use the lowest octane gas you can possibly use without dentonating.

Superah

Jul 28, 2006
Socal
aye mate said:
Use the lowest octane gas you can possibly use without dentonating.
its not always an easy thing to tell when you are detonating. Running higher octane fuel is very effective in preventing detonation. What it does exactly is change the temperature the gas ignites at just a little, but it makes all the difference in the world for something that does 7000 revolutions per min. Some of the 76 Gas stations carry higher octane fuel that is not leaded, you may want to look into that. Another thing that is commonly overlooked when speaking about detonation is actual cylinder temperatures. By making sure you have an efficient intercooler and even a custom nO2 set up or simply rerouting the windshield wiper nozzles to cool the intercooler before a race with make things much safer and allow you to push it that much harder.
Hope that helps

Supra_Z

7M dreamin
Feb 15, 2006
San Jose CA
someone on supraforums ran 116 with i think 98.9% methanol on a 1jz and they passed CA emissons. im not sure if this has anything to do with this thread, but it seems to be in the same place

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Superah said:
simply rerouting the windshield wiper nozzles to cool the intercooler before a race
now why the fuck did i not think of this damn good idea im doing it.i mean they dont work on the windsheild anyway so might as well put them somewhere they will acctualy do something. i say, +1 my friend

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
tekdeus said:
I'd like to run 20 psi at Suprafest. I'm gonna do it. The previous owner of my car did it without problems. Traction will be the biggest problem.

I never understood what the point of having a BOOST LEVEL goal was? Have a horsepower goal and use as little boost as you need to get you to your hp goal.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
whenmunkysfly said:
now why the fuck did i not think of this damn good idea im doing it.i mean they dont work on the windsheild anyway so might as well put them somewhere they will acctualy do something. i say, +1 my friend

Grrrrr. I've done this to my car a long time ago.
I took the lines to the wiper nozzles and extended rubber lines around the engine bay, ran them across the top of my intercooler with holes through it. Instead of using Wiper fluid, I used about 70% Alcohol and it sprays allllllll over the IC right before I'm ready to run. It is VERY nice to have. ;)

Also, for backup, I carry a spray bottle to spray on IC pipes, anything that gets hot, really. :icon_bigg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
What, Joe... you're just jealous because your stupid 1JZ cant run more than 14psi before the ceramic turbos break in half. damn you stupid kids.
BTW: I plan on pushing 35psi to the wheels. No bullshit.

jk joe... if you didn't already figure it out.. lol