Adjusting boost?

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Why do people adjust boost depending on their driving conditions? I see folks say they run 7psi around town and 20psi (or whatever) at the track. Why not just set it and forget it? If you have your car tuned for 20psi and don't boost it around town, then it's no different than if you had it tuned for 7psi. I don't get it. My car is tuned for 10-11psi right now and that's as high as I can go before fuel cut (I'm on a stock ecu, no piggy back or FCD) -- so I just leave it regardless of how I drive it. Why would I mess with it and reduce boost for just "driving around town"?

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I don't change it much. My standalone was tuned @ 14PSI and that's what I run the majority of the time. Yeah every now and then I'll crank the boost up a couple pounds but I tend not to as my stock twins are on their way out. But once I go single I'm just gonna set and forget it and just take it easy in the rain and snow (I daily drive my car).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hotwheelsjr;1862653 said:
Why do people adjust boost depending on their driving conditions? I see folks say they run 7psi around town and 20psi (or whatever) at the track. Why not just set it and forget it? If you have your car tuned for 20psi and don't boost it around town, then it's no different than if you had it tuned for 7psi. I don't get it. My car is tuned for 10-11psi right now and that's as high as I can go before fuel cut (I'm on a stock ecu, no piggy back or FCD) -- so I just leave it regardless of how I drive it. Why would I mess with it and reduce boost for just "driving around town"?

Because it's nice to drive a car that isn't trying to kill you ;)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I can think of a few reasons. Fuel economy, for one. After all, the limit set by the boost controller determines the maximum rate at which the car can consume fuel.

There's also the whole "turbo bite" thing, which may not be the experience that you want on the highway.

Plus there are always the police. Lower boost setting = less temptation = fewer conversations on the roadside with the local constabulary.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1862670 said:
Because it's nice to drive a car that isn't trying to kill you ;)
So, drive the Miata and worry about everyone else trying to kill you. :p

Dan_Gyoba;1862714 said:
Plus there are always the police. Lower boost setting = less temptation = fewer conversations on the roadside with the local constabulary.
Seems like a good enough reason to me...

Honestly, I'll admit that higher boost pressures have taught me to be a better driver. Smoother on the throttle, more mindful of WHERE I boost, and have learned to drive the car sideways without getting scared in the dry. Better to build confidence in this than suddenly realize your car is (as Poodles puts it), Trying to kill you. :p

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Me and everyone else i know just leaves it. Varying from a 7m on 9 pounds to a sc300 on 35 psi. We dont adjust boost, just our right foot.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Early morning Logging run 25+ psi with a GT3540R and slightly damp/misty road, log shows the "Ohhh SHIT" moment where it burst into wheelspin at 100+ Mph rollon...
(I think wee came out)

This was before my DBW Trac setup, I also have logs showing wheelspin over 100mph on a bone dry road so being able to adjust boost for the conditions can be a good thing, I know you can always pedal it but sometimes you're NOT Lewis Hamilton or Mark Webber..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1862820 said:
Early morning Logging run 25+ psi with a GT3540R and slightly damp/misty road, log shows the "Ohhh SHIT" moment where it burst into wheelspin at 100+ Mph rollon...
(I think wee came out)

This was before my DBW Trac setup, I also have logs showing wheelspin over 100mph on a bone dry road so being able to adjust boost for the conditions can be a good thing, I know you can always pedal it but sometimes you're NOT Lewis Hamilton or Mark Webber..
Most of us don't have LS based v8's either. ;)

And I thought you WERE Hamilton? No? You're gonna tell me that Santa Claus isn't real next, aren't you? :(

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nutter...

You're lucky to even *feel* anything from my 1j haha...