Additional clutch help needed

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Hey guys, I know there are other threads about clutches (I have been reading them for days), but I need some more specific advice.

First off, my power level is going to be around 350 hp for a few months until I get fuel/tuning mods, after which I should be running about 450+ hp to the wheels. I plan to daily drive this car with the occasional drag strip run (something like a trip to the strip every month or two).

I am mainly looking at SPEC and ACT and a few others. With my price range of up to a max of $500 for a clutch/pp, it started looking like the SPEC clutches would be the best (with the possibility of an ACT if it was affordable). I looked into the SPEC stage 2, 2+, and 3. Stage 2 holds 460ft/lbs, stage 2+ holds 500ft/lbs, and stage 3 holds 520ft/lbs. The stage 2+ is the most expensive, followed by stage 3 and then stage 2. Why is the 2+ more than the 3?

I've heard that the stage 2 and 3 are a new clutch with a rebuilt stock pressure plate, and that the 2+ and 3+ have a stiffer pressure plate. Is this true or is it just a myth?

I have also heard that the stage 2 will last longer than a stage 3. Does anyone know how long they last? I know it will depend on the driving characteristics (I'm not that crazy on the street, just will run through a gear every now and then), but does anyone have first hand experience? I've read through the product reviews, but was wanting some more info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Well I just realized that Those are all torque at the crank/flywheel, so the stage 3 will really hold the equivalent to 440 ft/lbs at the wheels. So it's looking more like the stage 3, but I still would appreciate any thoughts.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
i wouldnt use spec if u plan on dragging once in a while, but thats MO
ive read a lot feedback that they blow after 4-5 hard pulls.

i was looking into spec as well then i came across HPF bronze clutch 750$
and 125$ for a rebuild for the pucks if they go out.
its a 6puck clutch Very streetable and can pull thousands of hard pulls if u want to drag once in a while.
choices of PP is RPS 3200 LB. PP or Act PP
i think its a great price.
i wouldnt reccommend using a lightweight flywheel
Resuface your stock flywheel is what i recommand, ppl i know of done it and had great sucess there over 550+ HP and TQ and pulls on the drags a lot

check it out here http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pri...wheels/Clutches/part/Bronze_-_Supra_MK3_Turbo

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Yeah, I've heard good things about that setup too, but I simply cant spend that much on the clutch. Where did you read these reviews? I've done numerous searches on here and the other forum, I just can't find any more specific info (hence why I made this thread :p).